Do silkies roost?

That's really interesting. None of mine have any trouble. Your roost may be too ''high'' for them, but any silkies who can't get up to the roost will probably sleep in a pile which is fine.

I think it all depends on high the roosts are. In one of my pens the roosts are 30cm high and pefect for silkies, in other that wasnt designed for silkies the perches are 1 metre high and only a few silkies have worked out how to get up there.

I figured that. I used to have a roost that was about 2.5 feet off the ground, and the silkies didn't get up there, but now the roost is about 2 inches off the ground and the silkies have no problem. Only problem they have is repeatedly trying to walk through the roost.
roll.png

I built my coop with a 2' roost and a 1' roost (for the silkies), but the silkies sleep in a nest box :p Nobody uses the short roost.

My Silkie bantam's roost... All the way at the top. They have an easy access to the top and they like it there. It took a few weeks of teaching them that thats a good place to stay at night but they finally got it. I have to say though, having silkies vs. other chicken breeds that they are not the brightest bulbs on the tree 🤣.

Back
Top Bottom