Do Silkies Roost

I'm happy I found this thread! I have two groups of young silkies. A 7wk old group and a 11 wk old group. Neither use the roosts. And the roosts are low. The lowest roost is maybe 6 inches off the ground (I'll have to measure to be sure). I put them on the roost but they just jump off. They can reach it but they choose not to. Will they grow out of this??

If they are like mine, they will always form a group pile for the night on the floor in a corner.

I clean the corner each day and make sure it is in a draft free corner during the winter. Even though my bird room is heated the floor still gets cold.

Ok thank you. I did clean out the coop yesterday. I hope they'll be ok during winter. My coop is not heated. I'll have to look at some different insulating ideas.

Soooo, designing a coop for 3 Silkies. Should I put a nice bed on the floor, slightly elevated nesting boxes with a ramp and not bother with a roost unless they poop in the nesting boxes? I give them a branch to jump around on in their brooder and their playpen/tractor, but they all sleep together on the floor right now. Not sure if I should take up space in the coop with a roost and poop board unless they don't go for the ground floor accommodations. Thoughts?

If you are planning on floor sleeping silkies do not raise the nesting boxes. The boxes should be at ground level with a max 2in lip if you are not getting your birds to roost, otherwise they will poop in the nests and sleep there too.

Can you tell me how you heat your coop? I have less hens this winter than last, and a pretty good size coop so I'm concerned about them getting cold. I just got 1 silkie rooster and am getting one more and I understand they do not sit on the roost with the others. I'm trying to increase the flock, but might have to add heat. Thank you.

Can you tell me how you heat your coop? I have less hens this winter than last, and a pretty good size coop so I'm concerned about them getting cold. I just got 1 silkie rooster and am getting one more and I understand they do not sit on the roost with the others. I'm trying to increase the flock, but might have to add heat. Thank you.
My "coop" was once a garage workshop that has a long counter and drawers. I have a good quality electric space heater under the counter where the chickens can not get at it.

I'm concerned for my Silkies as well. My 3 big chickens get inside the coop, while my Silkies stay on the ground outside of the coop. Basically, the little run they have. It's a small coop like they sell at Tractor Supply. There's no way to close them up inside where the nesting boxes are. Unless I make something.
Is that ok? I live in North Texas.

My silkies sleeps on the floor where I have pine shavings. It is difficult to clean. The pine and poop collect on her rear, I gave to soak her.it is time consuming....she won't roost. Sand is cold.a my suggestion?

How long have you had her? I have 3 silkies and was told they won't roost. Two of them are on the big roost with the rest of the girls, one stays on the floor. It was 6 months or more before they left the floor to try the roost. My husband built a mini-coop with a little roost about 1 inch off the floor. I put straw in the mini-coop and it has two "boxes" she started out sleeping in them, and now sleeps on her little personal roost. She has seizures so I'm sure that's why she stays down below.

Back
Top Bottom