Do some ducks lay double yolk eggs or is it luck if the draw?

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Every so often i get one of these giant eggs, often times it is one more egg than usual suggesting to me its not one of my runners and they are always a double yolk. I wonder if it is
E3675B80-742C-4C8D-A4B0-5CA3CEDC3ADD.jpeg
one bird that is doing this or if it just happens a lot and is a random thing.

Ah.. I would say common in new layers.. and a major undesirable reproductive hiccup if a mature layer.

Talk about BAD luck of the draw. Too many birds lose their life to egg binding which is often (not always) cause by multi yolkers. :hmm

The maximum I have read about was alleged to be a 9 yolk chicken egg.. :eek:

I have gotten several excessively large eggs, usually from pullets or those returning to lay from brooding or molt... I think my largest chicken egg was 104 grams.. cringe worthy and beautiful, losing hens outweighs my intrigue and curbs my excitement to see more.

So you get a whole extra egg one day and it's a double yolker? How many birds of what type and how many eggs is your norm? :pop

Ah.. I would say common in new layers.. and a major undesirable reproductive hiccup if a mature layer.

Talk about BAD luck of the draw. Too many birds lose their life to egg binding which is often (not always) cause by multi yolkers. :hmm

The maximum I have read about was alleged to be a 9 yolk chicken egg.. :eek:

I have gotten several excessively large eggs, usually from pullets or those returning to lay from brooding or molt... I think my largest chicken egg was 104 grams.. cringe worthy and beautiful, losing hens outweighs my intrigue and curbs my excitement to see more.

So you get a whole extra egg one day and it's a double yolker? How many birds of what type and how many eggs is your norm? :pop
I have 3 runners around 1.5-2 years old not quite sure exactly, and 2 pekins and 2 rouens hatched early march. I suspect it is one if those, im averaging 2-3 eggs a day, and i think is the runners, we maxed out at 6 eggs one day , once, but not again 4 was good for a week or 2 but now they are molting, and were down to 2 maybe 3 , today was 2

My Rouen so far has only laid double yoked eggs. She is also not on a layer feed as I keep my entire flock on a 16% maintenance feed with free choice oyster shells. So far she has had no issues laying, but when comparing her size to the size of the eggs they really aren't that large (they are just large compared to my other eggs). I weighed the eggs which come in at about double compared to my other hen's eggs, but my Rouen Hen also weighs about 7lbs and my other hens weigh anywhere from 2-4lbs.

I have 3 runners around 1.5-2 years old not quite sure exactly, and 2 pekins and 2 rouens hatched early march. I suspect it is one if those,
I would agree with this thought of it being possibly a new layer coming into production.

Also, most animals tend to have (slightly) more flexible bones when young and these do happen all the time. So try not to let my statement about possible egg binding cause undue worry for. Just keep it in the back of the mind if anyone starts to seem "off" and look up the symptoms if it becomes a concern.

Otherwise.. double yolkers.. are tastier! :drool

Back
Top Bottom