Do the no-crow rooster collars actually work?

chickenmom22

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
After losing a chicken to a predator, I've been considering getting a rooster for extra protection for my hens, and I'm curious if those no-crow rooster collars actually work or not. Roosters are technically legal where I live - but only if they are quiet. I was also wondering if there are any other methods of keeping a rooster from crowing.

Agree with Capricorn. Aside from that, IF they REALLY worked no one would have to be re homing Roos. Although many re home for other reasons- like aggressive behavior.

Makes sense. Most of my neighbors have loud roosters and I don't know how they get away with it since we all live in city limits. If I got one, with my luck, I would be the only one who gets reported. Lol.

I have read the collars are dangerous and the rooster can die.
You may have read that, but have you experienced that? When used properly and following directions, the collars are quite effective. They do loosen over time and I reapplied my rooster's collar several times. Unfortunately, I put it on too tight the last time and in the wrong place and nearly killed Mr. Fluffy. But he has bounced back and I will put it back on properly to preserve the sanctity of our suburban neighborhood, avoid fines, and avoid giving up our beloved rooster.

I do not need to put collars on my roosters. Our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile from here.
Ok, so you nearly kill your rooster with this collar but you think they are safe. . . Neck dislocation is faster though, IMO. More humane than slow strangulation.

My roo has a no crow. He's had it for more than a year now with no issues. They're more correctly called a "crow less loudly collar" because they do not stop the crowing. If your roo stops crowing, you've likely strangled the poor thing. Proper fitment and adjustment are the key to using a crow collar, and the effectiveness is going to vary from bird to bird. You need to have it under the neck feathers and be able to slide the tip of your pinkie in under it, or it's too tight. Cluck still crows, but he's quiet enough that he doesn't bother my neighbors (live in a subdivision). I would also strongly suggest feeding crumble instead of pellets with a crow collar, just to minimize any potential risk of food getting trapped by it (and again, if you're fitting it right, this is a nonissue and just extra precaution).

I am in the suburbs, I am trying to quit the crowing not stop it all together. Everything I read and research on the no crow collar of you follow the directions it works. I however and completely stressed out about it. I would rather not put one on him but afraid its this or the soup pot. It has been two days haven't had much luck with it working well. We are trying different sizes. If I have to put it on so tight it risk strangling him well then I will let him crow untill the neighbors complain and force me to get rid of him.

You may have read that, but have you experienced that? When used properly and following directions, the collars are quite effective. They do loosen over time and I reapplied my rooster's collar several times. Unfortunately, I put it on too tight the last time and in the wrong place and nearly killed Mr. Fluffy. But he has bounced back and I will put it back on properly to preserve the sanctity of our suburban neighborhood, avoid fines, and avoid giving up our beloved rooster.
I wouldn't use a no crow collar. I moved out into the country so I have no need for one.

Back
Top Bottom