Do These Duckling Pic Help ID the Breed?

Sunnyducks

Chirping
May 1, 2016
Hi, bought my adult pair from someone who said they were Khaki Campbells; she'd also bought them as Khakis a year earlier. They are about three years old I think. Thanks to this forum I find they aren't KCs. They may well be hybrids and I'll never know, but other than a suggestion they could be Welsh Harlequins, I really don't have a clue. She lays every day, white eggs 59gram. I've just hatched three ducklings in the incubator, which are now 5 and 7 days old, see the three pics, plus a couple of Mum and Dad. Are they any help in IDing mum and dad?

The ducklings, surprisingly enough, look just like khaki campbell ducklings.

Your adults aren't welsh harlequins, at least not purebred welsh harlequins. They are maybe crosses.

Thank you @Pyxis I should have said that someone thought they might be 'part WH', sorry, I made it sound like they told me they thought they were. I can see now why they aren't KC or WH. The close up of Jack's head and neck show that his head is dark brown, not blackish, but there is a slight greenish iridescence to it too, and the ring round his neck is kind of beige. His legs are orange. Vera's leg and beak are more olive. The ducklings have dark olivey buffy coloured feet. They still have quite a noticeable creamier brown bib. The littlest duckling is a shade darker than the other two. Of course, there is no telling that mum is the same breed as dad, either! But they certainly have cute babies :)

Mom looks a lot like a Golden 300. Dad definitely looks closer to a WH drake than a KC drake but it can be so difficult because the drakes from the Mallard breeds all look so similar. They are a good looking pair and the ducklings are adorable.

@lomine
Thank you very much for your thoughts. I am so sorry I didn't reply sooner, life got in the way of everything. I do apologise! I think he's a lot more like WH and so do a few people; I suspect he's a cross, but who knows what with. And the ducklings do look very much like KCs. I'm not familiar with the breed Golden 300, unfortunately. Given the circumstances in which I got them, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are both crossed several times and I'll never find out the answer. Bu that's ok. Thank you again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom