Do these ladies look like dwarves?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bettacreek, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    [​IMG]

They're on the local classifieds. They're an hour away and they're free does. The lister has listed permission to breed them, so I'm hoping to add these gorgeous gals to my breeding program. Unfortunately, if they're dwarves, they won't fit. Do they look like dwarves? I'm thinking that they are, which really stinks if they are, because they're gorgeous, but, like I said, dwarves won't fit into my plans. [​IMG] The lady listing them is unsure, and I can't drive an hour away to turn around with no gain.

2. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Ask her how they are. They look like young rabbits.Haed telling what breed they are right now. They are mixed with something.

3. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    IMHO they look like lionhead crosses.

4. Thingrizzly

Thingrizzly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Length of ears suggests that they are small bodied rabbits. It's been my experience with mutt type rabbits (what I raise) the larger meat type have longer ears in relation to their head.

If you're raising for pets, that coloration along with small size sells well in this area.

Now to irritate all rabbit lovers, if you dress out a mini at 10 weeks one whole rabbit equals one (small) serving. When I raised minis, that's what happened to any I culled.

Kenneth

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    they look like dwarf lionhead crosses, chances are someone was looking to bring the size of the lionhead down to the dwarf size.
    This is becoming very popular with "some" lionhead breeders.
    lion heads as they stand right now are boardering on the 6 lb size, breeding Netherlands in brings down the sixe to 3 - 4 lbs, then they work on bringing back in the correct mane and skirting.

these little crosses make great pets, size and temperment are 100 % decent.
    For a Meat program though like someone else mentioned, Single Serving or snack size.
    also thats not always a bad thing either.
    some people look for smaller dressed rabbits.
    3 lbs of meat is somtimes desireable to 5 lbs with leftovers.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They are pretty!

And not only that, you can make some rabbit noodle casserole!

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Hrmm. If I were to gather these girls and they were smaller rabbits (I've noticed the ear thing too, thank you for confirming that!), would I have to get a different buck to breed them to? It does look like they have dutch or dutch coloring in them (look at the nose points), but I'm assuming that they'd be too small for my dutch buck.

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    They are adoreable whatever they are. LOL

And you can't beat free, those gals would have been here already. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by