1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do these silkies look like roos already?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheHalfWayCoop, May 27, 2011.

1. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I know Silkies are hard to sex unless they crow or lay, but I just have a feel that half of 'flock' [​IMG] of four are roosters already. These two guys are quite a bit bigger than the other two and their head feathers seem to be growing straight back like they've been in a wind storm while the other two seem to be growing a soft halo of feathers all over their heads. When these two hear other birds around they're craning their necks checking it out while the other two continue to forage for bugs in the grass [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I know...the waiting is killing me too!! I know for a fact that my two reds are, but my other 4 are driving me crazy [​IMG] Your lil guys are a beautiful color!

3. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I hate waiting!! I'm hoping by some miracle they're all pullets so that we can keep all of the sweeties, because we have backyard chickens if they're roos they have to go [​IMG] I really like their colours, they're all from the same 'family' are the chicks were all either buff, partridge, black or blue and my three guys seem to be a mix of all of the above LoL Except for my little buff one. I'm thinking by all rights of chicken math we need to go back to the breeder and pick up another pair of buff to even it out [​IMG]

4. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Silkies are gorgeous, but the waiting must be terrible! I cant' wait to get my Silkies some year............ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by