Do these stunted silkies need supplemental heat?

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
In early June I got a group of 20 silkie chicks. At about a week old they contracted a particularly aggressive strain of fowl pox that ended up having a 55% mortality rate. I still have 2 of the remaining 9 chicks. They appear to have stunted growth.
IMG_20231003_163637636_HDR.jpg

(White female = Creampuff, buff male = Big Cheese) Picture (taken Oct 3) of Creampuff at almost 4 months old/15 weeks. At the time both of them were the same size. Recently Cremepuff has been putting on weight and plumage, she's probably about 40%-50% bigger than Big Cheese at 19 weeks old (5 months on Nov 3). He is still the size of a 2 month old and has pitiful whispy fluff.
IMG_20231029_181543799.jpg

Here they are today (and a showgirl silkie that's half their age behind them). This week we'll be getting colder weather, dipping to 32°F (instead of the 60s).

Creampuff is a favorite of mine and I'm rather paranoid if these runts will be able to able to tolerate the colder weather. Might supplemental heat be a good idea? Last year the coldest it got was 6°F

Purina medicated start and grow 18%, last week started feeding All Flock crumble 16%
Can you get an All Flock, or Flock Raiser that's at most 20%?

For extra vitamins, other nutrients, & Amino Acids you can give them some Kick'N Chicken, Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, or just some Nutridrench. Can be mixed in feed as a wet mash, or add to the water. Kick'N Chicken is to be mixed with the feed only, since it's pretty much an oil, so it'll float in water.

Can you get an All Flock, or Flock Raiser that's at most 20%?

For extra vitamins, other nutrients, & Amino Acids you can give them some Kick'N Chicken, Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, or just some Nutridrench. Can be mixed in feed as a wet mash, or add to the water. Kick'N Chicken is to be mixed with the feed only, since it's pretty much an oil, so it'll float in water.
Ah, thank you!! I'll definitely look into that. I'll see what higher protein feeds we have at work.

I'm assuming the higher protein/supplements won't be an issue for the younger, non-runt Showgirl Silkie? All of his clutch mates got eaten by hawk so he stays glued to the hip of the runts

Ah, thank you!! I'll definitely look into that. I'll see what higher protein feeds we have at work.

I'm assuming the higher protein/supplements won't be an issue for the younger, non-runt Showgirl Silkie? All of his clutch mates got eaten by hawk so he stays glued to the hip of the runts
It won't her. But I would only give the supplement every other day, or every few days, maybe once a week. It depends on what will work for you, & the birds.

It won't her. But I would only give the supplement every other day, or every few days, maybe once a week. It depends on what will work for you, & the birds.
Ended up getting Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, mixed some into their food. 3mL in about 2-3 cups of feed. I think I'll probably try giving it via syringe. Probably 1mL since they're so small?
Screenshot_20231030-220005-858.png

Size comparison pic

Ended up getting Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, mixed some into their food. 3mL in about 2-3 cups of feed. I think I'll probably try giving it via syringe. Probably 1mL since they're so small?
View attachment 3672183
Size comparison pic
Should work fine in the feed. Though I suppose you could syringe some too. Gotta be careful about syringing liquids into a chicken's beak though.

Big Cheese passed away at 5 months old last night. When I let out the young silkies yesterday morning I could tell it was his last day. Around 5pm he perked up a little and was walking around with the other silkies, the clarity before they pass away.
IMG_20231105_160520491.jpg

IMG_20231105_160539874.jpg

Took some pictures and pet him for a little bit during that time. Just sat there together with him until I put him to bed for the last time.

Fly high, you lil stinker 🧀

Last edited:
Big Cheese passed away at 5 months old last night. When I let out the young silkies yesterday morning I could tell it was his last day. Around 5pm he perked up a little and was walking around with the other silkies, the clarity before they pass away.
View attachment 3677706
View attachment 3677707
Took some pictures and pet him for a little bit during that time. Just sat there together with him until I put him to bed for the last time.

Fly high, you lil stinker 🧀
He may have had something wrong developmentally.

Back
Top Bottom