do they eat fleas?

Frecs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
Brunswick County
I know that guineas eat fireants and ticks but I was wondering they they also eat fleas? My place has super-fleas. They are immune to everything designed to kill them. Seriously! If they eat fleas along with fireants, they will definitely earn their keep on my mini-homestead.

Quote:
Actually, I have not tried that yet. I have used Sevin Dust which has some effectiveness.

I used to run a feline rescue program and I used DE on the youngest kittens. It was the only thing I believed safe enough. Once I was brought a mama cat with 6 kittens, less then a week old. They were completely covered in fleas! I dusted them and they were flea-free within 2 days. For the chickens/guineas I put some in their sand run periodically. I also pour some in their dustbath holes when I find them. You can dust dogs too, but most people use frontline or advantage (the stuff sold in grocery stores only works in the mildest cases) If your yard is actually infested, you may need to use something stronger to treat the yard. Once all the animals are treated, the fleas will stop coming back. I can't see a chicken or guinea not eating a flea if they see it, but the little buggers hop pretty far & fast so I'm sure they miss more then they catch.

Last edited:
Fleas are too small for the most part for them to see. Fleas are not immune to everything but it is just hard to break the life cycle. Coons and opossums bring new flea eggs into your yard every night! If your dogs have fleas then treat them all with Comfortis from your vet. There is nothing better and that is not an opinion, its fact. Your dogs will thank you and if you have cats(no Comfortis for cats), then use Frontline plus or Advantage for cats. These work good but you need to keep up with it every month. If you buy the cheep stuff at Walmart then you are just wasting your money. You really do get what you pay for in flea control.

Quote:
Comfortis does not work on our fleas! It does for friends in other areas of the county but not on our fleas. And, yes, we treat the house and dogs at the same time. Still no good. Frontline and Advantix are useless.

It is actually Adams spray from Walmart that keeps us from being totally overrun!

Quote:
Comfortis does not work on our fleas! It does for friends in other areas of the county but not on our fleas. And, yes, we treat the house and dogs at the same time. Still no good. Frontline and Advantix are useless.

It is actually Adams spray from Walmart that keeps us from being totally overrun!

Frecs,

What area do you live? I have never seen a dog that Comfortis will not work on and if that is the case, the dog could have spit out or vomited the pill. That is the only reason it would not have worked. About 2% of dogs will vomit it everytime. PM me with any questions because I can help get your fleas under control.

I love my guineas but they don't seem to eat ants and our fleas have exploded in the last month. Our dog kills at least one squirrel a day so the fleas are going to be a battle.

Quote:
I remembered reading about beneficial nematodes...they are supposedly very effective against fleas and many other pests who's live cycle includes a period in the soil. About the same cost as a box of useless Frontline so it may be worth a try....something has to work!

Back
Top Bottom