do they have to have heat?

pardenx3

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Talladega, Alabama
We have our third of three chicks hatched in our incubator, but our brooder is full of little "meaty" chicks at the moment. We still have the box the meaties were shipped in. Soooo.... I was thinking, would it be OK to put the new hatches in that box? We don't have another heat lamp(although my husband said he can come up with one). They are in the house where it is warm, but is it warm enough? The weather here in Bama' is calling for up to 4" of snow tomorrow so they are staying in the house for now.

they absolutely need heat, i have heard in the old days of folks putting the chicks in a box by rhe wood stove- without the heat they can't survive- maybe someone else has some suggestions- do you have a space heater? you could put them in the bathroom with a space heater keeping it warm maybe- or put a divider in the brooder of meaties, or a small cage so they could get the warmth

Thanks! We decided once the last chick has hatched and dry, I am going to clean out the bator, and put them back in there. The hatched ones are pecking at the one still hatching. Thats why we went ahead and separated them for the moment. Thay are in a box with some hay, under the heat vent for now. I will be puting them back in the bator ASAP, and keep a close check on the others for the time being.

why are u going to eat the lil guys? when they get big there sooooooooo cute
hit.gif

I just use a regular light bulb in a lamp in the house. I put it at one end of the brooder so they can go down the other end if it gets too hot.

chickluver:D :

why are u going to eat the lil guys? when they get big there sooooooooo cute
hit.gif

Have you NEVER had chicken salad
th.gif
???!!! YUMMY!

I'm just hastling you! I have chickens, and don't eat my birds, but I see why many choose to: you can control what they eat, and eat much healthier yourself. I hope, someday, I can do this - I really believe in a more healthy approach to living.

And I LOVE chicken salad!!!!!!

eta: yes, they still need warmth - they need to be at 95F for the first week as I understand.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom