Do they look Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by andbab, Nov 28, 2009.

1. andbab

andbab Chillin' With My Peeps

My two miniature donkeys. I think they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I haven't got a clue myself, but they do look wide enough - they sure are cutie pies!!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It's hard to tell at those angles............ my jack always looks like that ! LOL

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Yeah, hard to tell. I had three boys, all gelded, two looked like that, one was even bigger!! Everyone thought he was due any day!! He came to me that way and was just the product of someone loving him too much, which is easy to do with donkeys as they are easy keepers and put on weight easily. Plus, with their winter coats, they look even heavier than normal. I would keep watch, see if they get bigger and watch to see if they bag up. Then you will know for sure. [​IMG]

5. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    hm... they look pregnant, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are. Most, [smaller] equines tend to get pleasantly plump...

Normally if a mare (horse) is showing like that, you should be able to pick up on certain things, such as she not having a heat cycle in a while, teats becoming tender and "swollen," changes in behavior, feel movement of the fetus....etc. I'd imagine donkey's would be the same... Do you know if they were in with or potentially covered by a Jack?

I would definitely call a vet out to ultrasound or at least give them a good check up - if they are pregnant, normally different feed is suggested that is higher in protein, calcium, and overall nutrition (such as better quality hay - alfalfa mixture).

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] I have a goat, a fixed boy who's wider than those little donkey girls... [​IMG]

7. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    How much hay are they eating... [​IMG]
    It is amazing how much they can pack away!
    Cute!!!

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Donkeys usually have a bit of a pot belly. I've actually been wondering the same thing about my goat! It IS hard to tell.
    They are ADORABLE though [​IMG]

9. GooseGirl

GooseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    I vote "yes", but I may not be a good person to ask. You would not beleive how many we thought were prego, thought they might kid, locked them in a stall, only to finally decide they were not prego. Given time, you will know:D
    I hope so!

10. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    You can also have your vet check for you. They may use different methods depending on when you think they were bred.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by