Do they need shots?

MrsH527

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
We're getting our first chicks within the month (hopefully) and we just realized we don't know what they need medically when we get them. Do they need beginners shots like puppies? Or are they good to go off the bat? I just want to make sure they are healthy! This may sound like a stupid question, but I appreciate your advice!

Some people (and hatcheries) vaccinate their chicks for diseases, such as the Marek's virus. Some birds will be resistant to certain diseases, some will not. It is your decision to vaccinate your chicks or not.

Occasionally smaller broods of chicks (and chicks the same age/breed/size) will be less likely to get a disease than chicks in huge mixed broods.

No easy answer to that question. The one thing I have my chicks vaccinated for is Mareks. Most hatcheries will vaccinate, or you can buy the vaccine yourself. There's tons of info on BYC about Mareks.

You may want to check with your Extension office to ask what types of diseases are common in your area. My flock had fowl pox last summer, which wasn't that serious, but there is a vaccine available for that. I might have vaccinated had I known about it. There is a coccidiosis vaccine that was not offered by my hatchery, but I might have had my chicks vaccinated if it was an option. I don't feed medicated starter (which will help your chicks develop immunity to the coccidia in your soil), and would have liked the peace of mind of a coccidiosis vaccine, but so far none of my birds has come down with it.

I don't feed medicated starter (which will help your chicks develop immunity to the coccidia in your soil), and would have liked the peace of mind of a coccidiosis vaccine, but so far none of my birds has come down with it.

Do you mean the medicated feed helps them build immunities or not having the medicated and being exposed to it helps them build immunities? Thank you so much for your advice!

Quote:
I don't feed medicated starter (which will help your chicks develop immunity to the coccidia in your soil), and would have liked the peace of mind of a coccidiosis vaccine, but so far none of my birds has come down with it.

Do you mean the medicated feed helps them build immunities or not having the medicated and being exposed to it helps them build immunities? Thank you so much for your advice!
Chicks being exposed to cocci gradually will help develop immunity (w/o medicated feed).
The medication in chick feed is amprolium-- an anti-coccidial drug. Most amproliums can cause a vitamin deficiency in chicks, as a result, chicks eating it may have stunted growth. I don't feed my chicks medicated feed either.

Maybe this article will give you some more tips:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-and-medicated-feed

Back
Top Bottom