do they need to be Show Quality???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    do you need show quality ducks to sell duck eggs for hatching???

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    not always, since many people are looking for pets. However you need to price accordingly for pet quality eggs.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    are your ducks pet quality? do you ship eggs?

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    My call ducks are not pet quality. The others are all growing out currently. The Buffs are looking pet quality. The Silver Appleyards I am watching and waiting. The Rouens are still growing out also. Yes we ship.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    what do you charge for SQ eggs each, and what do you charge for pet quality.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Depends on the breed and color. Still setting 2012 prices, need to check the recent feed prices since it was just delivered again.

7. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Another factor is area, a duck egg or duck in one area out of show quality may sell for X in one area, but in another part of the country you can find them for less than X.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    ok, this is my thought.....I bought runners from Ideal and then I bought some from Metzers. My Ideal ducks look part Pekin(?) and less runner. I would be very upset if I bought eggs from someone and thought I was getting runners and they hatched out looking like the ones I have [​IMG] . I don't think they need to be show quality to sell eggs, but I think they should look like the breed they are being sold as... I won't sell anything from my hatchery ducks, just doesn't seem fair. If you still wanted to sell eggs and you don't have nice quality you could always list them as "pet quality" and post pics of the parent birds, that way there are no surprises for the person that buys the eggs...JMHO [​IMG]

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Well, my ducks are not show quality. But they doo look how that breed should look.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I say let the buyer decide [​IMG] if you post pics then the buyer sees what they are getting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by