Do they remember?

What do you think - do your chickens remember you?

Several months ago, I traded a few extra pullets and a cockerel with a neighbor, who lost a lot of birds to a bobcat.

This morning I stopped by, and as soon as I got out of my truck, the cockerel came running. Perhaps 100 yards. I thought for sure he was just trying to guard his flock, but the neighbor said he's never done that before.

What do you think - did he remember the sound of my truck?

What do you think - do your chickens remember you?

Several months ago, I traded a few extra pullets and a cockerel with a neighbor, who lost a lot of birds to a bobcat.

This morning I stopped by, and as soon as I got out of my truck, the cockerel came running. Perhaps 100 yards. I thought for sure he was just trying to guard his flock, but the neighbor said he's never done that before.

What do you think - did he remember the sound of my truck?

when i have rehomed some chicks they do remember me for quite awhile but since i am no longer the feeder...they may or may not remember me but they dont come running any longer. but as they were just beginning at their new home they did. i think it was reassuring to them to see me. they live such frightening lives. always watching, so many pitfalls, i feel so sorry for them which is why i tuck them in every night and wish them sweet dreams and go around each night to at least 10 of them and say sweet soothing noises. i just LOVE them so much.

Not only can chickens remember individual humans, they can recognize and remember individual hawks!

We have friends with a bird educational company. They have a number of birds including owls and hawks, and they go do flight shows at schools, fairs, and other places.

They have a large fenced and covered area where they train their hawks and other birds, and their chickens live inside this enclosure, too.

At first, the chickens would freak out when they brought one of their raptors out inside the enclosure to do flight training. These raptors showed no interest in the chickens....for various reasons, these particular birds are unable to be released back into the wild, and they don't behave like normal raptors. They were only focused on getting food from the flight training.

After a while, the chickens learned that they had nothing to fear from these individual raptors and now they don't even ruffle a feather when the birds are trained, flying right over their heads. However, should a wild raptor fly by over this enclosure, the chickens all head for cover.

Pretty cool, eh?

My girls are just starting to free range a bit each day when I come out to put them up soon as I’m in the yard they come running ! My sister & I’d voice is identical our mother & father couldn’t even tell us a part She is coming to sit with all my animals while I’m on vacation we are both wondering if her voice will over come our looking different? 5 more days I’ll know the answer

Today is no different. I came back from town, pulled up to the gate, and the girls came running, from all over the yard. from everywhere they were. They only do that, when MY car gets to the gate, Yes maybe they want treats, but the hens only do that for me and my car! There are three active drivers here on my property! Chickens are :D
BRILLIANT!:D

Back
Top Bottom