Do they remember?

Yeah that's pretty cool actually. Some studies out there, just have to really look sadly given how popular poultry is right now you'd think they'd be more apparent.
If that popularity was running strong for awhile yes, but it hasn't been, nor has the current popularity been fully based on knowledge sadly. But that is where this forum comes in :D

Of course they do. Remember the old thing about goldfish having a 3 second memory? Total myth. If you feed a goldfish at the same time every day they will start to flip out if you miss feeding time. And they can recognize people and may panic if a stranger approaches their tank. Mine did this whenever I had friends in my room as a teenager and it was fascinating. They didn't care if it was me, but someone who looked nothing like me? They got scared and would swim erratically. Research backs this up. For a goldfish this memory is around 3 months long.
Chickens obviously have a much greater brain capacity than a goldfish. So it's only natural that your chickens would recognize that their previous caretaker is back. Now whether that's due to some form of sentience or because their brains are biologically programmed to prioritize memories associated with meeting their needs like the person who brings them food or raised them from chicks is open to debate. But on some level do your chickens "know" who you are even months later? 100% absolutely.

I think chickens have a longer memory than what we think. I had a pullet inside my home with an illness for about a month. When I put her back out with the flock (which included her siblings), all three of her siblings ran to greet her. The others in the flock showed no interest in her.

I know they remember sounds because every time I open the deck box with their treats in it, they come running. It's to the point now that all I have to do is open my backdoor and they all come running to me.

Its always great to hear from people other than the usual and accepted viewpoints.
There is so much to say about birds remembering I don`t even know where to start.
Yes, the cynics are correct when claiming that chickens respond to food/treats. But how does one explain when they come running when their humans come WITHOUT the goodies? When it makes no difference, when they hurry just to be with you?
Mine know their individual names [I have only five, it would be quite harder with 20, 30 or more]
I have taught them a few hand signals they understand and respond to.
They know their human people and easily distinguish one from another.
They know when I am leaving for awhile, including when I am trying to sneak out - they dislike it.

Maybe some of their awareness has to do with their incredibly trusting tameness. I have/had similar experiences with "wild" birds....
Western science does not ALWAYS have it right, I can tell you from plenty of personal experience.
When its disciplines DENY chickens their sentience, including a fascinating memory, they are wrong.
Yes, I am dogmatic about that. Basta.
To me, its no different than denying certain human beings their full humanity along with their sentience and memory.

That reminds me, the naysayers are right when they point out that chickens will remember certain things but forget them again [after a time].
However, I have just one answer to that, a question :
Have you, as a human being, EVER forgot anything?
If so, WHY do you then require chickens to remember ALWAYS?

Question with a introduction:

My chickens are afraid of dogs. They are afraid of them by instinct. Over a month ago ago they panicked a few times and they flee to the neighbors' garden. One time three chickens didn't come home until the following dag. A week later one chicken locked herself up in a garden further away with a high fence and I could pick her up there a day later. The chickens didn’t dare to free range as usual for a while. They stayed near the run and now. When they see the dog, they flee in the run and not on top of it or over the hedge to a garden in the neighborhood.

But now 3 weeks have passed. The dog has been on a ’holiday’ for a week with Xmas. And my chickens where locked up for week because we had a holiday around new years day.
Now the chickens go further away again when free ranging. Roaming around as before the dog issues.

Has this to do with forgetting or with loosing fear after a few weeks?

I'm only 8 months into what I'm sure will be a lifelong journey with chickens - so I'm certainly no expert, but I'm observant and highly analytical (most would say too much so!)
Darwin would say this is simply survival of the fittest - instincts inherited from ancestors that survived by remembering where to find a spider, of who brings the food. I agree that a lot of the behavior I note is instinctual - they behave that way to survive.
That doesn't explain why a cockerel would run from a pasture with food and cover, to expose himself to danger by running to see me when he heard my truck. There is a memory and intelligence in that decision.

The same is with the dog as @BDutch notes. I'm fascinated to watch them when my dog is in the ranging area with them. He weighs 125 lbs, and they walk between his legs, and would roost on his back if he'd let him. Do they know he protects them? When our kids, and their dogs visit, they are hyper-aware and on guard when two of their dogs are around, but instantly read that the other two dogs are safe (all rescued mix breeds from 35-75lbs.) My son just got a Belgian Malinois/ Swiss Shepard mix - he's about 5 months old and 60lbs now (we are pet sitting for the week) - He's big, fast and in training. But he doesn't seem to have a high prey drive. I have brought him into the chicken yard with me, and my dog, (pup is leashed). But the chickens trust him - he's shown no desire to attack (I'm not trusting him yet) - either the chickens can read his behavior and see no threat, or they see he's under my control, and no threat. Either way - there is an intelligence and memory behind those behaviors.

Thanks for all of your comments and videos - would love to see more and hear more opinions and examples.

Back
Top Bottom