Do they remember?

I believe chickens are smarter than we may think they are. Mine know I keep treats in my pockets and they try to pick my pockets if they can get close enough. They understand the word "treat" and will go inside the run and wait for me to toss scratch about. Although I do think it is more than food that makes them remember us. When you raise an animal from birth you establish a bond with them. So @NHMountainMan, I'm sure you are more than a noisy old pick up truck and bringer of food to your former chicken babies.

Same here! And they're getting smarter about it. Yesterday, one of my hens managed to successfully pick my pocket for the bag of treats, pull it out, and spill it on the floor (much to the delight of the entire flock), all before I had a chance to do anything about it!

I think some people don't realize that to survive in the wild, most animals HAVE to remember things for a long time. If they didn't, and they had to learn everything new each day, they wouldn't survive! They have to remember where food is, where shelter is, what animals are dangerous, which animals are allies, where water is, etc. If an animal such as a wild game hen was to forget an experience after a month or two (or even after a year), they could end up dead the next time they encounter it.

So yes, they definitely recognize the sound of the truck containing the person who brings them food.

I read some university studies from someplace (Can't remember to save my life) stating roosters are capable of remembering up to 50 different hens, so why couldn't they remember other things too? It sounds like a case of food association. When I had my little flock, sadly all but one has passed and just haven't replaced them yet, I'd get home and wow did they come a running full bore. It was always awesome to see them trip and turn into rolling feather balls. My parents who lived next door said 'Oh they're so smart' and I said 'Nah, they just know who feeds them.'
giphy (1).gif

I read somewhere, I'll have to dig up where, that chickens can remember up to 7 different faces. Food and fear are big factors, but seemingly also not the only ones.
Yeah that's pretty cool actually. Some studies out there, just have to really look sadly given how popular poultry is right now you'd think they'd be more apparent.

Back
Top Bottom