Do they remember?

My sister visits maybe once a month or so. Something about her really gets my rooster's hackles up. When other cars pull in to the driveway, he's on guard, but distant. When my sister's car pulls in he sprints over to wait by her door.

My guess is that he's determined she is beneath him and therefore must be put in her place every time. He's not a very aggressive rooster usually; he watches but leaves strangers alone. I used to tell my sister to just ignore him or pick him up when he attacked her, but at this point I think he has firmly established her as a subordinate in his mind. With strangers, he doesn't know the hierarchy, so it's easier for them to establish dominance. I don't know what my sister could do at this point to prove she's a superior. I can't remember how they met, but even chickens seem to hold on to their first impressions.

He definitely knows her car.

Last edited:
My sister visits maybe once a month or so. Something about her really gets my rooster's hackles up. When other cars pull in to the driveway, he's on guard, but distant. When my sister's car pulls in he sprints over to wait by her door.

My guess is that he's determined she is beneath him and therefore must be put in her place every time. He's not a very aggressive rooster usually; he watches but leaves strangers alone. I used to tell my sister to just ignore him or pick him up when he attacked her, but at this point I think he has firmly established her as a subordinate in his mind. With strangers, he doesn't know the hierarchy, so it's easier for them to establish dominance. I don't know what my sister could do at this point to prove she's a superior. I can't remember how they met, but even chickens seem to hold on to their first impressions.

He definitely knows her car.
Tell her to keep his favorite treat in the car. Whenever she pulls up she can give him one then. Hopefully car will then =treats

Tell her to keep his favorite treat in the car. Whenever she pulls up she can give him one then. Hopefully car will then =treats

Lol yeah I've given her lots of suggestions like this. She thinks he just hates her. I used to think he could sense her fear, now I think that he has her established in his mind as beneath him. When she offers him treats, he gives her the side eye, like "Who do you think you are?" It's like a hen tried to offer him treats.

In most of these comments, it seems like they're focused on the food bringer : truck means food guy, plastic bag means treats.
Most intriguing to me @Rooapalooza 's sister. There is no food involved and is infrequent visits, yet the roo remembers his "subordinate"
Every day I learn something new about these critters.

Back
Top Bottom