Do they think I'm their mommy???

HeiHei123

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Hi all,
I just have one rando question: Is it possible for my girls to think I'm their mommy, even when I didn't even hatch them? My chickies are 2 months old and they are extremely friendly:) A few of them will jump up on my leg when im sitting, snuggle close, and nestle their head under my arm(wing). They especially do this when they're scared, like at night. I have spent at least 2 hours with them everyday for their entire lives. They even let me touch their heads and face, and look under their wing without squirming. They're like as friendly as dogs😊 What I'm most surprised about is that some of them actually snuggle with me💕 So do they think I'm their mom or what?

No, they don't think you're their mommy....it's just acclimation from frequent handling.
How many do you have and do you have older birds?

Chickens are social animals and do bond, including with people, so even if they don't think you're their mommy, they can still like you and enjoy your company :) I had a chicken like that once, one I spent a lot of time with that bonded to me strongly and would snuggle and sleep in my arm pit, and then cry if I left.

Called 'imprinting' with people.
Have had incubated chicks run to me when scared of something.
The chicken in question was from a batch of started pullets we bought, fully feathered and past the newly hatched imprinting age. Unless they imprint throughout life, but at that point it’s a stretch to call it imprinting.

Back
Top Bottom