Do They Work - Electric Fences

Quote:
Thanks. I built them myself, and you can see how to build one by clicking on the link in my signature box. Yes, they are old hay wagon running gears that I picked up for $100 to $200. Then I spent another $1,000 or so building the coop itself. I kind of copied this guy's idea found here: http://mystorageshed.blogspot.com/

Here
are pictures of the inside:

[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/90607_winter6.jpg[/URL] [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/90607_winter7.jpg[/URL] [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/90607_winter5.jpg[/URL]

I can here hubby now... NO, NO, NO! What we have works just fine!
duc.gif

Ahhh, well a girl can dream! I guess I should start prioritizing all these wonderful "projects" I come up with in the winter months.
caf.gif
This girls going to get awefully handy with some powertools this summer! Just sayin!
tongue2.gif

Nothing wrong with a gooseneck because you can road them a lot easier. A lot of farmers here use them to move round bales behind a pick-up truck.

Quote:
We have had those type as well. We just like the battery/solar because they can move with the fence in the pasture. You can plug them into a regular outlet in the barn but you will still need to ground it. We have a copper rod buried 6 feet down with 3" above ground that we connect/ground to.

Also, Kelly, is the single strand in addition to another fence? Just a single strand by itself won't keep the dogs out as they will go under. But if you mean a single strand down along the bottom of another fence, that worked great for us! We've had our share of dog attacks with the sheep. Nothing worse!
barnie.gif

I have a 4' field fence that keeps the goats in, but one of the neighbors' stupid mutts has learned to dig under it. I haven't seen her for 2 weeks since I shot her with rat shot, but I'm sure she'll be back eventually. I want her to get zapped good when she tries.
wink.png

Quote:
I did have problems with my girls flying over the fence, I finally broke down & clipped one wing on each. My rooster never did fly over, I think his body is just too heavy. Since then I have not had any problems except with one hen. She was not happy with the nest box situation & she would fly out every day, lay an egg, forage in the yard & then put herself away before I got home from work. Once I fixed the nest box problem she has stayed in the yard (at least I think).

Do not be concerned with animals getting fried in the fence. My cats periodically bump it, I do & so do my hens. A fence charger pulses & allows you to get away from the fence. When I was a child I grabbed a fence & could not let go, the fence had to be turned off for me to let go. Pulsing fencers eliminate this from what I understand.

At this point I have not had any predators issues although I am still unsure how much my fence has been tested by predators. My concerns are mostly raccoon & fox.

One other thing I forgot to mention.....

When I first set up my fence my fence grounding was very poor. I had been lazy & did not use good wire for the connection to the grounding rod. My fence was poorly charged & not that hot. If a hen was trying to get away from me she could squeeze through the spaces in the fence & the shock was not strong enough to deter her. I was amazed to see this! My birds were only a few months old but looked like they should never fit through the openings.... I realized that they were mostly feathers.

Do not expect this type of poultry fence to contain young birds even if the fence is hot.

Quote:
Please do not do this!!!!! It is VERY DANGEROUS. What if a young child touched it or you forgot to "unplug" it, you would get killed or the child would. It would be no different than sticking a screwdriver in an outlet in the house outlet. People around the rivers do this to keep canada geese off their lawns and this past summer someone died because the homeowner wired it up to the house current.
I currently own an electric fence from Premier and a fencer, absolutely love it and yes it keeps the land predators out, and chicken in, easy to move also.
Patti

I just didn't realize that it was that big of a deal to do it. I have no need to do this anyway though.

Last edited:
quintinp-- this isn't about bashing someone else about your lack of, but about the SAFETY of others that we all care about. I personally know of a local incident where someone wired a fence to their house current to keep geese off their lawn and it killed someone. All i'm asking is that people use an electric/solar fencer to protect themselves and others.
Patti

I wasn't trying to sound snooty, sorry if it sounded that way, I have heard about 110 volts killing people, but didn't think it was that big of a deal to put an electric fence up attached to the house current.

Back
Top Bottom