Do Turkeys Hate Santa?

silenthawk2x3

Chirping
Jul 13, 2015
Olean
I know its a little past Christmas, but this morning I woke up late to let out the birds and haul out water. This isn't an issue except that in my rush to release everyone I stuck on my big "ugly" red Christmas sweater. We have ten blue slates with seven jakes and three hens, all about nine months old. Obviously we plan on butchering six of the beasties, but as of yet they haven't put on enough weight to make that worthwhile. Usually they are very nice turkeys and though they dont exactly like being man-handled, they will tolerate it. That being said they went absolutely berserk this morning. They are all fighting, slamming eachother into walls, destroying the feeders and terrifying my geese, ducks, and bantam chickens who all utilize the same run coop complex on days its not warm enough to be free ranging. Did me in my red santa sweater set them off or is it the BALMY 24°F Western New York is now experiencing?

So I haven't been imagining things? I've been using a red plastic coffee can to hold the poop that I scoop out of the roost trays each day, and I noticed that whenever I toss it into the pen after I'm done the rooster goes all George Forman on the poor thing. It's actually rather humorous to watch.

P.S. Bulls are not angered by the color red, it's the motion that sets them off.

Last edited:
if you think about look at color a toms head and neck turns when he is fighting or agitated. Blood red.

it's basically a challenge color.

and if one gets riled up I doesn't take much for the rest to try and join the party.

I know its a little past Christmas, but this morning I woke up late to let out the birds and haul out water. This isn't an issue except that in my rush to release everyone I stuck on my big "ugly" red Christmas sweater. We have ten blue slates with seven jakes and three hens, all about nine months old. Obviously we plan on butchering six of the beasties, but as of yet they haven't put on enough weight to make that worthwhile. Usually they are very nice turkeys and though they dont exactly like being man-handled, they will tolerate it. That being said they went absolutely berserk this morning. They are all fighting, slamming eachother into walls, destroying the feeders and terrifying my geese, ducks, and bantam chickens who all utilize the same run coop complex on days its not warm enough to be free ranging. Did me in my red santa sweater set them off or is it the BALMY 24°F Western New York is now experiencing?
Wearing different colored clothing than normal has been known to set off both turkeys and guineas. With some it is the color red and with others it can be the color blue. The main issue is that it is different than what is normal.

@memphis has a turkey that takes offense to hats.

Yes! Annie hates hats. She'll scream an alarm until the offensive hat is removed! All my turkeys are fashion critics. :rolleyes:

I watched a show once called When Turkeys Attack, everyone getting attacked by a turkey wore the same color of blue shirt. As stated turkeys react to the colors expressed on the head, blue red and white. So apparently you insulted your turkeys with your shirt color.

I watched a show once called When Turkeys Attack, everyone getting attacked by a turkey wore the same color of blue shirt. As stated turkeys react to the colors expressed on the head, blue red and white. So apparently you insulted your turkeys with your shirt color.

I had heard of the blue issue before and even have a neighbor who experienced it. For myself, since I always wear blue, I have never had the color blue be an issue with any of my poultry.

Yes! Annie hates hats. She'll scream an alarm until the offensive hat is removed! All my turkeys are fashion critics.
roll.png

Mine are all convinced that hats, gloves and shoes are terrible monsters that need to be destroyed.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom