Do turkeys scratch?

hmm... I'm starting to worry now that my Rhonda's a bit of a failure as a turkey: she doesn't scratch. At all. Knocks her food dish over quite often by dragging at it with her feet a couple of times, but otherwise... nothing.
Not that I'm complaining, mind you, as it sounds like turkey scratching would be a bit tough for the garden, but still...

Jeez...I remember when mine first dust bathed in my yard. I thought he was hurt with all the noises and flailing! (You know how delicate these big fellas are.) A lot of giant turkey craters in yard here as well -- and the chickens love to hop into them, lol! As far as scratching goes I'd say mine has pretty good skills, but a lot to learn from the chickens.

Last edited:
I know this post is extremely old, but I'm curious as to why more people don't have turkeys over chickens in regard to tilling the earth? If turkeys do it better, wouldn't that make more sense? In regard to permaculture, that is.

I know this post is extremely old, but I'm curious as to why more people don't have turkeys over chickens in regard to tilling the earth? If turkeys do it better, wouldn't that make more sense? In regard to permaculture, that is.
Other than their dust baths, turkeys do not "till" anything like chickens do.

My poults raised by chicken broody, till until they are about 3 to 4 months and then they loose interest.

Back
Top Bottom