do u know anything about rabbits?

It's a novel idea, but the odds of this set up working for you are not good. I'm with Belle on this. Each rabbit should get it's own pen/territory. It will be less stressful for them. Some people do it. I wouldn't recommend breeding mutts either. There's enough of them in the world.

Quote:
I still recommend individual cages. I find if I leave sibling groups together too long (seperated males and females, of course) I find occasional injuries - bites, scratches, etc among both males and females- evidence they were fighting.

It's okay to keep a group of siblings together between the time they're weaned and the time they're sold, but I'm not a fan of raising rabbits in groups as a practice. I know there are people that do it and some may chime in here and offer another opinion, but I prefer to keep my rabbits in individual cages, unless I'm breeding them or a doe is raising her litter.

I raise Netherland Dwarfs. I have a black otter, chocolate, blue, lilliac, squirrel, siamese smoke pearl. I've been raising these rabbits for years. I sell them $20. Good Luck !!

i honestly don't see the point whatsoever. rabbits are the third most overpopulated pet in shelters in this country, dying daily because of this as well as costing taxpayers money. get a baby bunny, or 3, raise them, and get your baby bunny fix. unless you plan on harvesting them for consumption i see NO point in bringing more animals into this world that are destined to be homeless.

Quote:
Don't mean to be rude, but I have to agree with what eKo_birdies has to say. Most people buy their kids a baby bunny and after a few months they get tired of them. I have 4 rabbits. One Californian Buck, Two New Zealand White Does and a mixed Black Buck. I am going to breed the Cali to the NZ girls for meat rabbits. The black is just a pet who provides manure for my compost. Rabbits make great pets and provide tons of manure which can't be beat for gardening. There is not point in bringing in more rabbits into the world who eventually become homeless.

My neighbor called me the end of September to ask if I would rescue 2 rabbits that someone dumped out on the grounds of their church.

She knew I had two rabbits...one came from FreeCycle January 2009...was a Christmas gift to a 7 yo child from an uncle. When the child did not fulfill her job of taking care of it they put it on FreeCycle. Snowflake is a purebred Frost Point Mini Lop...sweet doe; I got her for manure for my garden. The day after we got her I found that she had a toe that had a problem, trip to the vet that day; our 'free' rabbit had $150 surgery that afternoon. I suspect they knew and that was why they gave it away instead of taking it to a vet.

The 2 rabbits we rescued at the church were a doe and a buck...not sure what breed. Yesterday the doe gave birth to 5 kits that look like the buck who is much smaller, definitely a mini breed. I'm not sure what I will be able to do with them. If you 'give' away an animal, they often are dumped later when the cuteness wears off, they get tired of buying feed or they get pregnant because they did not have them spayed or neutered.

Sorry to get up on a soap box, but I have many cats that come to our garden...it offers a protection from the weather. My DH swears I have too big a heart because I feel sorry for all of them so I feed and water. I took one in last December when it got really cold, but she beat up my 3 indoor cats so was put on our enclosed porch. She managed to get out one night when I let the dog out to do her business before bed. Yep, she came back pregnant; had 7 kittens at the end of March and I had a devil of a time finding homes for all of them...6 males and 1 female. She got out again and left so I never got the opportunity to have her spayed to stop a repeat.

We all need to be aware of what will become of the offspring if we allow our animals/birds to breed. We must be responsible shepherds of our herds/flock.

Nuff said.

It sounds like your heart is in the right place.
smile.png
Why don't you contact your local shelter and offer to foster the bunnies that come in?

Fostering for rescues is a great service to your community. It makes you feel good too. Shelters and private rescues need people like you.

Quote:

i bought a litter of flemish giant bunnies for 1$ a peice....the market for bunnies im my area sucks. so i bought them all haha. ive got 60 somthing bunnies. all for a buck. raising them up and eating them all.

i just want all of you to know i am huge supporter of animal shelters i do everything i can to help the animals there and try to find homes for them all. I live in south ga and i went on petfinder. com and there is absolutely no bunnies in a shelter anywhere near me. I know a lady who has TONS of just mixed breed rabbits for meat. I was gonna save 2 or 3 and " borrow " a male for a while and raise 1 or 2 litters. then i would give the male back and keep one of the babies then i would give the rabbits away at an auction to farmers who wanted them. i wouldnt care what they did with them whether they end up as pets or as meat rabbits.
Anyway i want to build 2 nice rabbit pens and get 2 rabbits 1 male and a female to keep them seperate or together whatever yall decide is best. i just want by rabbits to be happy and healthy and for me and my sister to have fun with them.

please post pics of your rabbit pens and let me know whether to put 1 male and 1 female in a pen or keep them seperate

thank you

Hi.Had a house rabbit for 12 yrs.He was neutred and litter boxed trained.His big love was my cat.He was a holland lop ear.They can make great pets..He died about 3 months after my cat died.I had them both cremated and buried together.Point is please don't breed them for the sake of seeing babies.There is little market for bunnies after Easter.And most of them end up at shelters,or turned loose to be killed by cars and dogs.Think about it really hard.

Back
Top Bottom