Do u now what sickness is this

adriansflock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
My hen was happy in the morning but like around 5 pm she was gasping for air and couldn't breath do u guys now wat this is because I'm scared this will happen to the rest of my chickens

images

Gasping for air can be caused by a respiratory ailment, gape worms or possibly something stuck in the throat. Does the bird have any symptoms of respiratory issues...runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, wheezing??

Have you wormed your birds recently? Gape worm is not all that common, but they can get them from eating a lot of grubs and earthworms.

If the bird inhaled something or something is stuck in the birds throat, they would gasp for air. Even some internal issue might cause gasping.

So we need more info. You can also post this in the emergency section here on BYC for more input...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your bird and welcome to BYC!

She already died but we checked her to see if anything was stuck but there was nothing

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen, I hope you are able to figure out what was wrong with her. Like TwoCrows said, you could post about her symptoms on the Emergencies forum, give as many details as possible, and check all your other birds over very carefully in case any of them have any symptoms.

Thanks i just wanted to know if that was a sickness so if the same thing happens ill have a treatmebt

Thanks i just wanted to know if that was a sickness so if the same thing happens ill have a treatmebt
I am so sorry about your hen. The only way to really know is to put her body in a plastic bag and put her in the frig. Not freezer. And have a vet do a necropsy on her. They can tell you what she died of. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry about your hen. The only way to really know is to put her body in a plastic bag and put her in the frig. Not freezer. And have a vet do a necropsy on her. They can tell you what she died of. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

Great advice. Good luck, and hopefully you are not dealing with an infectious problem.

Sorry about you hen, if she had gapeworms you can sometimes find them by gently swabbing the throat with a cotton topped swab - you may see red or actual worms on the cotton.

Back
Top Bottom