Do very sick chickens ever recover and live for long?

I had a very sick hen. She couldn't stand, wasn't eating, was severely beaten by the head hen and left for dead. I took her to the vet for euthanasia as this was my first set of girls and I loved this bird. The vet was amazing. She took one look at her and said "I can fix her!" This was her nearly a year later fully recovered. She lived for about a year or so longer in good health.

IMG_7977.JPG IMG_8993.JPG

Here she is today a little mad because i just dripped water on her beak for awhile because she doesnt seem to be drinking enough but still alive. More poo in the overnight crate this morning still watery but more solids than yesterday. Crop is almost empty! She went crazy for some grit on the bground so i let her have a little more. She did eat scrambled egg but not much else. Tonight i am going to retreat with ivermectin pour on. I know some say use something else but my vet is very sure it is capillary overload and ivermectin is the right choice. It has helped and certainly not hurt so i am going with the vet no disrespect to all your experiences just my gut feeling. I will have anothwr float done next wek by the vet. I do thank all for advice. Cutting out the treats may be what has kept her alive. I thought just get food in her which was wrong for a chicken. Still learning! I also keep leting her graze because she just seems to come alive outside. I did cut down all my tall grass around their favorite bushes and i watch her closely. Oh she seems to have stopped going for the pine shavings but will still keep her away for now. Thank you all again. I was ready to give up and at least have some hope now.

Attachments

• 20180609_132319.jpg
    20180609_132319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
She just loves being with thw other girls scratching and pecking. She is the dominant girl too so she misses being in charge i think!

Attachments

• 20180609_133839.jpg
    20180609_133839.jpg
    915.9 KB · Views: 15
It's great that she is able to get out with the others, she needs that. I feel that chickens recover much faster if they can be with their flock.

Absolutely follow your vet's directions. Suggestions made here are just that...suggestions by backyard keepers just like you:)

I hope she continues to improve, please keep us posted.

I think we need some healing thoughts sent our way tonight. She is back to sleepy girl again. I scrambled up another egg with olive oil, coconut oil, a little sprinkle of ground flax and chia seeds for added protein. Gave her about one fourth of it and she ate every bit. Then let them out but she slept most of the time. Gave her a good massage and let her back in with the others. She didnt go for the wood but just looks bad again. She went in and got in a nest box for bed and i let her stay in it. thanks

I think she's done. Her abdomen is hard. Not swollen but hard. That's not normal? She iis not eating or drinking unless i let her out to peck for bugs. Just standing all hunched up. I do havethe acidified copper sulfate in the water.

Back
Top Bottom