Do very sick chickens ever recover and live for long?

Not good. Not eating. Drinking very little. I held her tonight for a long time. Her feet were cold so i warmed her up. She laid her head on my shoulder and slept. She wouldn't even walk around the yard and peck for bugs. Her crop was soft though not hard and doughy like it has been. It is very small too. I can feel grit in it. I massaged it for a long time. I put her to bed in the nest box she has been sleeping in. I cleaned it out good and put clean bedding in it for her.

I think she's done. Her abdomen is hard. Not swollen but hard. That's not normal? She iis not eating or drinking unless i let her out to peck for bugs. Just standing all hunched up. I do havethe acidified copper sulfate in the water.
I'm very sorry to hear she is not doing well :hugs

The hard abdomen and standing hunched up is likely reproductive/internal laying.

I do wish that I had better answers for you or could tell you how to fix this. The only thing I can say is to make her as comfortable as you can and give her some love.

On a person note - Sadly, I too have had a few hens with these symptoms. I have found that once they stop eating/drinking, then it's time for me to make a heartbreaking decision to let them go. I have opened up each of my girls to investigate what was going on. Every one of them had some form of reproductive problem-from cancer to egg masses in the abdomen. It's very sad, but seeing that, I knew there was nothing more I could have done. My girls are all buried in the backyard along the woods, each has a handpainted stone to mark their place.

I'm very sorry to hear she is not doing well :hugs

The hard abdomen and standing hunched up is likely reproductive/internal laying.

I do wish that I had better answers for you or could tell you how to fix this. The only thing I can say is to make her as comfortable as you can and give her some love.

On a person note - Sadly, I too have had a few hens with these symptoms. I have found that once they stop eating/drinking, then it's time for me to make a heartbreaking decision to let them go. I have opened up each of my girls to investigate what was going on. Every one of them had some form of reproductive problem-from cancer to egg masses in the abdomen. It's very sad, but seeing that, I knew there was nothing more I could have done. My girls are all buried in the backyard along the woods, each has a handpainted stone to mark their place.
I understand that she is probably not going to make it through this. I wish i had the courage to necropsy them but jusjustt cant. She now has what i assume is terrible sour crop. I have never had this to my knowledge. She seemed uncomfortable this morning so i did the burp thing and a bunch of very stinky clear liquid came up. Give me all your best and fastest sour crop advice! I can at least try to make her comfortable as you said.

I am going to get Monistat and have another float test done today. I am sorry to keep bothering you but last night when i picked her up she had been standing still. Her abdomen was soft and her crop was soft. After i let her walk in the yard a little, i picked her up again and her abdomen was harder again. She is so thin i would think i could feel swelling or lumps but maybe not. And her crop is not doughy anymore. Any thoughts as to what these symptoms may mean? I am hoping her digestive tract got so messed up with the worms that it is not moving right. If i can get her moving again, she might recover? I realize it is a long shot, but i have to try. Thank you!

Last edited:
She is such a fighter! I expect to find her gone in her nestbox every morning. But i peek in and she is looking at me with the others. Today she shocked me by joining tne others for their morning treat, a small handul of sunflower chips. This sweet girl can barely stand but she got in there and pecked a few, getting knocked over and pushed down, but still going. She has not done that for weeks. I did start the yeast infection treatment yesterday. I screwed up and got the suppositories but maybe that is easier than the cre cream. Just cut off a chunk and got it in her with several squirts of water. She drank lots of fresh water and lots of the water with the copper sulfate stuff. I won't give up til she does! Bless her little chicken heart!

Back
Top Bottom