Do we need to insulate our coop?

20 F is balmy to chickens. They'll happily peck about outside right down to 0 F. By heating your coop you are acclimating the birds to a warmer temp and they wont go outside. A sheltered area outside of the coop is all they need, toss hay down on the ice covered ground. My area is a lean too roof and two sides covered with plastic so that's three covered sides and a roof. They love it. Sure there are those days of -15 and lower they are reluctant to leave the coop. It's ok, there are not that many of those days in the grand scheme of things. Those are the mornings where it's so quite your foot falls are echoing in your ears. No animal is out and about, they are all puffed up waiting it out. Normal and only a few days of the year.

Well, it just makes me feel better about it, plus keeps the water in the coop from freezing.
They usually do prefer outside during the day when it's above 0, but I like for them to have the option to go inside to warm up if they want to.

Well, it just makes me feel better about it, plus keeps the water in the coop from freezing.
They usually do prefer outside during the day when it's above 0, but I like for them to have the option to go inside to warm up if they want to.
It might make you feel better but that is not necessarily making the chickens feel better.

I love the analogy of dressing up in your warmest winter clothes(down coats), then sitting in your heated house and see how long it takes for you to be uncomfortably warm. Chickens wear down coats....ventilation is way more important than heat especially at 20F.

Heat the water only, in a closed container as mentioned before.

Listen.This is what I have learned from a very experienced expert:
If you have heat, and the power goes out, It's a death sentence for your chickens.

Stop doing it.

Last edited:
If you have heat, and the power goes out, It's a death wish for your chickens.

Stop doing it.
Death wish...no.
Death sentence?... maybe...
....it certainly would be stressful on the birds... and the keeper.

Death wish...no.
Death sentence?... maybe...
....it certainly would be stressful on the birds... and the keeper.
Sorry, I ment sentence I was doing something and typed it quickly without thinking.

Yes!Because, they are so used to the warmth, it's 0°F out side, power goes out.....

If you have heat, and the power goes out, It's a death sentence for your chickens.

We lost power to our brooder heat lamp when our younger chicks were only maybe 4 weeks old. Came down to the basement (at about 50F) to find them all huddled together in the corner, all poofed-out like Angry Birds. They weren't completely feathered at that point, but it was clear that they could do something about cold temperatures. They're outdoors now at 8 weeks, and don't seem to mind overnight temps in the low 40Fs. The coop is designed with protected corners they can shelter in, so we don't intend to heat or insulate.

Back
Top Bottom