do we think one or all 5 are laying.

DixieChick5

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hello! I have 5, 19 week old white leghorns!

We discovered out first egg last friday around 1pm. And all the girls were very loud! We didn't get the second egg until monday. Otherwise everyday there's been a egg, all but twice in the same nesting box. The time varies between 10 am and about 3ish. And all the eggs seem to be about the same size (smaller).

Based off the information given so we think more than one of the five are laying?

I know that they should be on a 23 to 26 hour cycle. But since it took 2 days for a second egg to appear I was thinking that others may be laying and their cycles aren't on the egg a day cycle yet.
[/IMG]

I reckon that until such time that you get 2 eggs on the same day you won't be able to guarantee 100% that you have two pullets laying
big_smile.png
It's not unusual for a fresh pullet to lay an egg, have a day or two off, and then lay her second egg.

I have six pullets laying now (2 BO's and 4 RIR) and the only way I knew it was all of them laying was on one day we got 6/6 eggs.

Oh, happy day!

It's hard to tell by look who is laying what. A bird can lay her eggs in several varying shades of brown or white or cream, and can also lay what I call rough chalky textured egg shells one day, and super smooth the next!

One day you will wake up to find 5/5 eggs and you will KNOW for certain who is laying!

- Krista

Thank you!

I have only found one in a nesting box while looking for eggs, but I closed the lid right away trying to give her privacy. Didn't get a good look to see who it was.

I did find one today that had to have laid before 9:30 because the egg wasn't warm. If I find another one later I know I have at least two layers. Lol.

If you check their vents, the width of the pubic bones will tell you who is laying and who is not.

Wide distance (2-3 finger widths) means she is laying.
If you can only fit one finger, she is not laying.

I tested this theory when one of my pullets started laying this last week.....still at about 1 finger.
I wonder if it takes a few weeks, and bigger eggs, for the skeleton to change to a 2-3 finger width?

The finger technique isn't always 100% but it's close. How many fingers depends on the size of the bird(breed) and what size the egg is or will be. So a silkie is laying at 2 fingers but an Orpington isn't

Back
Top Bottom