do week old chicks take dust baths?

casumm

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
the girls are all healthy a week into this. Yay. They do odd little things that surprise me everyday. They fly up and hang out on the brooder edge, all but one will climb right into my hands. Today I was a little worried when we walked in a Eva was laying there practically buried in pine shavings. I thought they'd killed her and tried to bury the evidence!!! But then she started flapping around and I realized she must be trying to dust bathe? Do they do this at one week or are my chicks just "gifted"? it doesn't mean something might be wrong, does it?

chris

Yes, your chickens are gifted. Incredibly gifted. Very much like mine, or others' are gifted.
wink.png

Perfectly normal and quite fun to watch.

(I thought it was a seizure the first time I saw it!)

It is just a natural instinct of theirs..she is fine. it helps to cool them down and keep the parasites off as well....

My Dominiques are two weeks old today! I put a frisbee upside down in their brooder with some dirt from their future run in it and they LOVE it! They dust-bathe in it regularly, and also pick out the little edible things too. I mix a little bit of sand in with it to help with anything they may eat and need to digest. I put a fresh frisbee in every day and they just go nuts when I put it in there. They are soo cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom