Do Welsummmer have leg problems?

smsabean

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Who has welsummers? Do they tend to have leg problems or have I just been unlucky with my rooster? I have a trio of Welsummer - got them as chicks. They are beautiful. My hens are gorgeous and I want to breed some more but my big boy seems to be a bit crippled. He is only 14 weeks old but he only goes a few steps at a time and lays down. He is really pretty but I don't know if I can keep him on his feet long enough to breed with him and I'm not sure this is what I want in my breeder. I may just winter over the hens and try to get a better rooster next summer. Just wondering if this is a common problem with them or not. And yes, he does have a yard and free ranges quite a bit so he is getting exercise.
Thanks.

My rooster ended up not being able to walk at all on one leg. I am not sure if it is the breed or just some thing happened to that leg.

The 4 (2 months old) I have seem to be fine so far. Fine, other than 3 of them being roos (I think).
smile.png

Mine did not develop the leg problem until he was almost fully grown which is why I am wondering if it was an injury rather than some genetic type of problem.

I have them on medicated grower and give them a little cracked corn for a treat.

Mine was in with 3 hens which I hoped would start laying fertile eggs so I am sure they were on laying mash. Mine will also get some scratch.

Back
Top Bottom