Do wild ducks leave their mom? If so, when?

ok, i definitely will. Do you know what kind i should buy and where is the best place to buy it? should i search local or buy online?

any information and help will be greatly appreciated.

also, i'm not sure where they sleep at night, is there anything i should be doing to help keep them safe?

regards, kristin

ok, i definitely will. Do you know what kind i should buy and where is the best place to buy it? should i search local or buy online?

any information and help will be greatly appreciated.

also, i'm not sure where they sleep at night, is there anything i should be doing to help keep them safe?

regards, kristin

Kristin,

I agree those ducks have definitely been around people at some point. When they see you, they are happy to see the lady bringing treats.
wink.png
I would suggest buying local rather than online, due to shipping expenses. You should be able to locate a quality poultry or waterfowl pellet. Not sure what stores are in your area. Tractor supply? Co-Op? Purina Mill? Nutrena? Rural King? or etc. Maybe do an online search for poultry feed near your location?

If you are planning to catch them and relocate to your yard, it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult. Just put up a temporary pen, dog kennel or etc and toss the corn and snacks inside. I don't think you would have too much trouble closing a gate behind them. Then catching them inside the pen to transport. Once they are at your home, I would keep them confined for about a week & trim the primary feathers, so they don't just fly back to that pond.

Depending on what type predators you have in your area may influence what type protection you provide.

Well, guess what? i ordered some dehydrated mealworms for the ducks and couldn't wait to see their reaction. They didn't touch them. i don't know why, but there was no reaction at all. then i threw some corn down on top of the mealworms thinking maybe they can't see them in the grass and they picked through and ate the corn but never touched the mealworms.

Do you think it's because they are dehydrated, they are not as appealing? Can they see them? i noticed when i gave them peas they didn't react either, do they have are hard time deciphering colors with the ground/grass? Can they smell?

I'm going to buy them a bag of feed today and i'm wondering if they will even eat it. Any ideas?

Well, guess what? i ordered some dehydrated mealworms for the ducks and couldn't wait to see their reaction. They didn't touch them. i don't know why, but there was no reaction at all. then i threw some corn down on top of the mealworms thinking maybe they can't see them in the grass and they picked through and ate the corn but never touched the mealworms.

Do you think it's because they are dehydrated, they are not as appealing? Can they see them? i noticed when i gave them peas they didn't react either, do they have are hard time deciphering colors with the ground/grass? Can they smell?

I'm going to buy them a bag of feed today and i'm wondering if they will even eat it. Any ideas?
Live bugs are a lot more appealing than dried ones. They will probably like the feed.

I bought them a bag of feed today, a 50lb bag of water fowl maintenance. My poor little ducks are so confused. They came running and I threw some feed on the ground and they just stood there a looked at me like, what's this lady, where's the corn? Since it floats, I threw some in the water and the still just stood there and looked confused. Finally the smaller females got in the water and some of the ate it but they definitely were not excited about it. LOL

I'll still treat them to corn every now and again but i think this 50 lb bag us going to last a loong time.
1f601.png

Ducks can be reluctant to try new things, but usually once they get a good taste of new food stuffs they do eventually come around. Consistency and patience may pay off yet. Yes, live bugs are much more appealing than dried ones. These ducks have been "living off the land", as nature intended and have been eating lots of live, natural, food sources which is yummy for ducks. Crickets, earthworms, minnows & etc are favorite treats for ours ducks. I think most of us would prefer a piece of fresh juicy fruit over shredded wheat cereal "biscuits". Think of dried foods and pellets as an acquired taste, developed over time.

We often explain different foods to folks in this manner. Think of ducks as kids, corn as candy and pellets (commercial feed) as veggies. Yes, ducks would rather eat the corn than the pellets, but the pellets are more nutritious for them. Plus, that shiny yellow corn is more attractive than dull tan/brown pellets. Many live insects have that shiny look. Maybe put out a dish, aluminum pan or etc and put a mixture of pellets top dressed with corn. You may also wish to sprinkle some of the dried meal worms as well. This is one way to introduce them to pellets and can sometimes entice them to try new food.

Good luck and we look forward to reading updates.

I threw out some feed in the water this morning, they were just swimming over so I was able to get the food in the water before they actually got out and on land. They all ate it pretty enthusiastically so I'm thrilled. I'm happy they like it and will get some good nutrition unlike the starchy corn. :)

Now I have this small bag of dehydrated meal worms, I don't know what to do with. Would you want it, would your chickens/ducks eat them? I can mail them to you if you want to send me your address: [email protected]

I'll get some more videos and post on YouTube real soon.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and expertise. :)

I threw out some feed in the water this morning, they were just swimming over so I was able to get the food in the water before they actually got out and on land. They all ate it pretty enthusiastically so I'm thrilled. I'm happy they like it and will get some good nutrition unlike the starchy corn.
smile.png

Now I have this small bag of dehydrated meal worms, I don't know what to do with. Would you want it, would your chickens/ducks eat them? I can mail them to you if you want to send me your address: [email protected]

I'll get some more videos and post on YouTube real soon.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
smile.png

Yea! Glad to hear they gobbled up the food. I figured they would. Ducks are just so funny about tasting new things and it often takes them a bit. Thank you for your kind offer. I look forward to you tube links. Congratulations on a successful endeavor! I can just imagine how happy you must be.
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif

I rehab abandoned ducklings and over last summer, raised about 50 orphans. Once they were about 3-4 weeks old, I started to introduce them to fruits and vegetables. BYC has a great list in the Duck Thread of ducks' food preferences and I found this list very accurate. I did introduce new treats slowly as they are quite reluctant to try new things. I have two different types of ducks - Black Bellied Whistlers and Mallards and they are definitely different in terms of what they like. I did find that both seemed to enjoy picking at a piece of watermelon- especially if I put it in a little water so they could drink the "watermelon juice".

Back
Top Bottom