Do yall think I could use this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SarahFair, Oct 12, 2008.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ive got a bunch of Deer Corn in my garage.
    Ive thought about when I get my chickens feeding it to them.
    The deer just dont seem to fancy coming to my backyard and I dont want to attract raccoons or opossums or whatever is eating it..
    (which ive never seen around here...but something is eating it.)

Its the kind they sell at walmart in the green/grey bag.

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Hi, Is it cracked? If it's whole kernel they will have a hard time digesting it. If there's enough of it take it to a feed mill and they can put it through their rollers. They probably won't like to do small amounts tho. I scatter cracked corn for my free range flock in the morning after they'r out and they love it.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can crack it for them and use it for treats. It is not hard to crack. You can do a some treat sized scoops in your food processor. You don't have to grind it fine just pulse it to break it up.

4. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Franklin, KY
    Here is the deal with deer corn. Around here much of it is cheaper than #2 corn at the feed mill, the reason being (I am a wildlife bilogist and one of my freinds told me this) is that most deer corn has been condemmed for mold contamination (aspergillus). I wouldn't feed it to wildlife and I sure wouldn't feed it to livestock. If you can find on the tag somewhere that it is tested and certified mold free than you are good to go. Also, if your birds have access to grit they will have no trouble digesting whole kernal corn. They do have a gizzard for a reason.

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I was going to say, growing up our chickens had whole kernel corn and access to grit. No problems.

6. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Cool! I will look for that lable!

What is cracked corn? I never really understood that

7. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Franklin, KY
    Cracked corn is very roughly ground, basically just making the kernals into smaller bits. You can still tell it is corn but it is just bits of kernal. Ground corn is more of a power and can be coarse or fine.

8. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    I just "Cracked" a bunch of good old cow (dent) corn that the kids brought home.

The chickens went crazy....

I would suggested spreading it on a baking tray and popping it in the oven for a bit to dry it out if there's a bunch. I tossed mine in the oven after dinner was cooked and turned the gas off, there was enough leftover heat. It will last a bit longer if the moisture is out and looks just like the bagged stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by