Do you add brewers yeast if...

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
Hi All,
I’m currently using Manna Pro Non-Medicated Starter/Grower for chicks and ducklings (my ducklings are approx. 5 & 8 weeks) and will be transitioning them to Mazzuri Waterfowl Starter to get them accustomed to pellets when transitioning later to the maintenance. Both brand’s list niacin in their starter formula ingredients but not the percentage of and am wondering if I should continue to add brewers yeast? From what I understand they’ll pee out what they don’t need but DO they need it if it’s already in the food and if so how much and for how long should I continue to supplement?

I would assume both of those brands have the correct amount of niacin for ducks and not add any supplements. But if you do, any excess B vitamins get expelled. Just off the top of my head I thought brewers yeast was high in protein.

Brewers yeast usually has a nice variety of trace minerals, and yes, over dosing is possible but only at really high levels.

So, I would probably keep sprinkling a bit on their feed, at least until I ran out.
What then should the cup:brewers yeast ratio be when adding to niacin supplemented food? I had been adding 1/2Tbs to 1/2 cup food.

If you're going to use Brewers yeast, you should check the niacin content. Contrary to popular belief, not all BY brands contain adequate amounts of niacin. More suitable for niacin supplementation, would be nutritional yeast, or B vitamin pills.

If you're going to start them on Mazuri, that should have enough niacin, and you shouldn't need to supplement at all.

Back
Top Bottom