Do you ALWAYS lock your coop at dusk?

Do you ALWAYS lock your coop EVERY NIGHT right at dusk?

• Yes... Each night, every night!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sometimes, but not always.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No... I feel my run is secure.

• I never lock my coop!

• Total voters
I voted yes and guess what?!?! I've never lost a chicken to a predator attack either. I'm not saying it won't ever happen, but in the two years I've had chickens, I diligently lock all of my coops up (I have 5) and I've never lost a chicken to a predator.

I always lock mine up before dusk. Because I work strange shifts I actually set an alarm in case I fall asleep before they should be closed in. On the weekends when I work noon to midnight I don't even let them out (thank goodness they have a big coop) because I want to be sure they're in before I have to go to work. I've not had any problems, but since we have every predator known to the eastern US around here I'm not taking any chances!

just like the other posters-we forgot a few times and with each one of those times our babies were brutally murdered-we installed lockes on every coop-never had a problem since:)

Absolutely, no exceptions. I forgot to one night and I'm still counting my blessings that my chickens weren't harmed.

Every night, but during the winter, not at dusk. I worked until after dark, so you can bet the first thing I did - still in my work clothes - I would go out and lock the coops' doors. (I have two.) I was so worried something might have happened before I got home!

I'm building a third coop to move everybody into (will use the others as quarantine and/or brooding, adolescent coops) and will install an automatic coop door for it.

We've got an electronic doorkeeper and it is worth every single penny paid for it. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I never use to lock up my flock. For about 2 years I did not lock up my flock. In those 2 years I did not loose 1 bird. But my flock was found by a raccoon. I lost lots of birds last Spring. I now lock up my flock .... most of the time. Like others, I have gotten side-tracked here with the kids or something and missed locking them up during the winter months. I also did not lock them up when we had 2+ feet of snow in the yard. I need to get back in the habit of locking them up though! I feel better when they are locked up safe in the coop!

Back
Top Bottom