do you candle and weigh eggs under a broody?

You can do whatever you feel comfortable doing, it won't hurt anything. :)
I just have hundreds of things to do already and if I can't see in my really dark eggs I just wait to candle them before lockdown.
I have some eggs under a broody and some in the incubator. I obviously can watch the incubator ones closer and I candle them and will weigh them.

what do I do with the ones under my broody? I checked them at day 4. how often should I check them or should I just let them be? Should I worry about air cells etc since it isn't like I can control the humidity unless I take them from her and put them in the incubator. Or just candle to be sure they are developing?
Usually a broody chicken or duck will be able to detect a problem such as an egg that doesnt hold temperature, etc. and the hen will kick it from the nest. You probably wont need to disturb her to candle or weigh eggs, especially if that hen has hatched eggs previously.

Usually a broody chicken or duck will be able to detect a problem such as an egg that doesnt hold temperature, etc. and the hen will kick it from the nest. You probably wont need to disturb her to candle or weigh eggs, especially if that hen has hatched eggs previously.
Thanks. This is her first time broody. And ya I don't bug her to do it. When I did it on day 4 she was off the nest so I took a quick peek.

Back
Top Bottom