Do you consider crows friend or foe???

chickenboy95

Songster
11 Years
Dec 12, 2008
se ohio
Who where considers crows friend or foe.
I was just looking outside my window and I saw one eating the corn off the cob i threw to the deer.
Do they harm chickens or anything. I dont mind them eating the chickens feed as long as they dont carry lots of disease that can be easily transmitted from them to my chickens.
What are all your guys thought and opinions on them?
I heard they are good for scaring hawks away, is this true??

Crows will NOT allow a hawk to hunt while they are in the area. I've seen them chase hawks all over the air until the hawk flew away.

Friend, they do scare hawks away.

Not friend when they get in the pecan tress.

What are you gonna do.

Let em have pecans.
thumbsup.gif

We've never lost a chicken to a raptor. I'm convinced it's partly
due to all the crows we have around. I'd feed them if I could.

Definate Friend!

Foe,

I spent all spring and summer having to get up at the crack of dawn to collect my duck eggs as if I wasn't out there every 20 minutes the crows would eat them or carry them off.

I love Crows! I had a pet one as a kid. They patrol your area well and are the first to run off a hawk. I have heard of them molesting poultry, but we have never had any problem here, and I free range. I think, perhaps they have ample food here.

They are the best!!! Dont let them near your hatchlings or eggs, they will become crowling food!!!

do you mean REAL "CROWS"... or ravens???
around here we call them crows.. but they REALLY are ravens..

ravens...FOE.. they eat my eggs... they have gone after my chicks.. they eat any leftovers i give my chickens.. they bring their dead things and "wash" then in the birds water (so gross)
they harrass my whole barnyard

Crows? Friends.

Ravens... well, I like ravens, they are smart, incredibly smart!!! They also chase away raptors too, just like crows, but, yeah, they WILL go after chicks and eggs, so even if you free range, as long as you isolate nest boxes and chicks where they can't get to them, FRIEND also.

Where I live in Ohio, there aren't any true Ravens, so the Crows are my friends.

Back
Top Bottom