Do you consider your Chickens Pets or Livestock

Do you consider your chickens Pets or Livestock

• Pets

• Livestock

Results are only viewable after voting.
@jmns Since I've started working remotely, I've been able to spend more time with my boys. I visit with them on my lunch break. I'll whine to them about a rude customer or a cranky coworker and they'll listen attentively, if I'm waving a treat. LMAO! Because I am home, they get more supervised free range time in the evenings. I'll logout for the day, grab a beer, a chair, and let the boys out to play until bedtime.

@jmns Since I've started working remotely, I've been able to spend more time with my boys. I visit with them on my lunch break. I'll whine to them about a rude customer or a cranky coworker and they'll listen attentively, if I'm waving a treat. LMAO! Because I am home, they get more supervised free range time in the evenings. I'll logout for the day, grab a beer, a chair, and let the boys out to play until bedtime.
Same, one of my friends and I have been known to drink a glass of wine during these "therapy sessions" Working from home definitely has it's rewards! :)

$10 each!? What the heck are you feeding them!? Gold?
Did you figure the cost of that coop and run - and maintenance on both - into YOUR equation? Yup - $10 apiece ... and worth every penny of it to me! :D
Mine are pets with a twist. We have Nankin Bantams - a critically endangered breed. With so few of them left, globally, eating the cockerels and surplus roosters would feel like eating bald eagles or California condors to me! My extra males live out their lives in the Bachelor Pad ... and the eye candy alone is worth the extra cost and effort!

Did you figure the cost of that coop and run - and maintenance on both - into YOUR equation? Yup - $10 apiece ... and worth every penny of it to me! :D
Mine are pets with a twist. We have Nankin Bantams - a critically endangered breed. With so few of them left, globally, eating the cockerels and surplus roosters would feel like eating bald eagles or California condors to me! My extra males live out their lives in the Bachelor Pad ... and the eye candy alone is worth the extra cost and effort!
Sounds like you’ve got a pretty nice setup!

My little operation is maintained with a hand built coop and run that gets a coat of paint about every 5 years. I brought eggs instead of wine to dinner parties at the hosts’ requests for about two years before this lack of the $15/bottle wine paid for the coop (about one work party a month for two years = saving $360 which is about what the coop cost). We have 6 chickens and $9 for 50lb bag of food every other month or so. Garden scraps and kitchen scraps plus free ranging. So I am at the break even end of the scale at this point if not better most months. Even if they cost $9/month for food as they can in the winter then it is about 30cents/ day. So split that between however many eggs I get from 6 chickens that day. I reuse all of my equipment and rarely have to do some vet work, but this is still a rarity and doesn’t eat into much cost.

Sounds like you’ve got a pretty nice setup!

My little operation is maintained with a hand built coop and run that gets a coat of paint about every 5 years. I brought eggs instead of wine to dinner parties at the hosts’ requests for about two years before this lack of the $15/bottle wine paid for the coop (about one work party a month for two years = saving $360 which is about what the coop cost). We have 6 chickens and $9 for 50lb bag of food every other month or so. Garden scraps and kitchen scraps plus free ranging. So I am at the break even end of the scale at this point if not better most months. Even if they cost $9/month for food as they can in the winter then it is about 30cents/ day. So split that between however many eggs I get from 6 chickens that day. I reuse all of my equipment and rarely have to do some vet work, but this is still a rarity and doesn’t eat into much cost.

My coop is a converted playhouse. I was lucky enough to inherit it when my kids outgrew it!
CoopS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom