Do you cry when they die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Jul 12, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I know I shouldn't because maybe it wasn't meant to be, but I am anyway. Had one that pipped and was fine all day. Had its little beak sticking out and everything. Then it got turned a little when another hatched. I didn't worry because although the pip was down lower now, I thought it would still be ok. Well, it wasn't...as I watched, a gush of liquid came out of the hole and it must have drowned.

I should have tried the egg carton method.
    I should have gone in there right then and turned it back up a little.
    I should have broken the shell open and tried to save it.

But I didn't because I didn't know any better. So I was responsible for its life, and I am responsible for its death.

I have 26 perfectly beautiful chicks and 5 more on the way but I feel horrible about this one. [​IMG]

2. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I'm sorry your chickie didn't make it, but it isn't your fault. I killed one two weeks ago when I DID intervene. So how can you know? The gush of fluid make me think something was wrong anyway. Perhaps someone more experienced can explain this to you and make you feel better. My heart goes out to you.

And - I did use the carton method, and the chick I tried to help was upside down.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I didn't lose one yet but I know if I did I WOULD cry for sure! Don't be to hard on yourself! You didn't know...I just lost Serama too and I could have done the what if...but It happens. [​IMG]

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I know...I"m so sorry...I intervened a couple of weeks ago and killed one that had not absorbed the yolk. It's such a heavy burden when you "help" and one dies....or when you don't and one dies. [​IMG] Try not to be too hard on yourself and enjoy the ones you have and are going to have. We learn something from every hatch...:aww

5. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    It's perfectly fine to cry. I have cried and will cry with any and all losses. [​IMG]

I'm sorry you lost that one baby. Take the time to grieve and the daily caring for your remaining babies will help you through. [​IMG]

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope.

I couldn't do it if I cried every time I lost a chick.
    It would be waaaaaay too hard on my system.

I mind....
    but it's not something I'm willing to cry about.

Susan

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:Honestly, that's the attitude I normally take but this one just hit me because I could have done something and I didn't. The eggs that didn't hatch, or the chicks that die after they hatch don't bother me because I know I did everything I could.

Thank you all though - I really appreciate you helping me through this.

I broke the shell open and realized that even if it had hatched, it wouldn't have lived. It didn't absorb the yolk sac and all its innards were out-ards. I feel better now. [​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Cry when they die?
    I used to, but it's been a while now since the first few.
    Now I heave a heavy sigh, and go on.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Of course I cry when they die. It's a sad thing, and they are babies. The only way to avoid the sadness of a chick dying is to not have any. I think I will continue to have chicks.

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sorry you lost it. And yes I cry. Your not alone. :aww so go ahead and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by