Do you deliberately scare your chicks?

Yes! lol

The other day, I forgot to tell the kids to plug the brooder back in. Days here are in the 90's but nights are 60's. At 5am, I woke up and went AHHHHH! Tossed on some slippers and headed to the barn certain to find dead chicks. The brooder was dark, it was all quiet. I reached in and felt a pile of fluff under the lamp. I started grabbing wings, butts and feet to find some sign of life.

Poor little things had the beejeepers scared out of them.

They were all fine...just snuggled for warmth.
hide.gif

My son scared ours just by popping his head over the brooder and yelling "HI BABIES!" He didn't mean to, but they are older and outside now, and it doesn't even phase them when he "talks" to them anymore.

you guys do what you like... but if you sell your eggs and you cause your chickens to have scares any more often than what happens in everyday life, it can cause them to lay eggs with blood in the yolks and people who don't know anything about farming FREAK OUT when they crack a blood egg into a pan. so it could be bad for your business.

blood eggs are safe to eat but they don't look very appetizing when you crack them, and a chicken being scared or chased within a few hours of laying is more likely to lay an egg with a blood spot. i have no need to scare my chickens, they have enough natural things that set them off. if yours don't have any means of normal every day surprises, i guess i can see your point that you think you're making their hearts stronger or whatever... but mine don't need any extra

Last edited:
Quote:
If blood spots are caused by scares, my eggs should have them all of the time. They are forever being stalked by the cats (playfully), spooked by a hawk, scattered by the tractors etc. I seldom find blood spots on my eggs.

Here is some information on blood spots:

Blood spots occur in less than one percent of all eggs laid. They may appear in a pullet's first few eggs, but are more likely to occur as hens get older, indicating that it's time to cull. Blood spots may be triggered by too little vitamin A in a hen's diet, or they may be hereditary - if you hatch replacement pullets from a hen that characteristically lays spotted eggs, your new flock will likely do the same.

Back
Top Bottom