Chick math got me like šŸ„“ Chicken Drama got me like šŸ¤Ŗ

LoveOfFeathers

Songster
Jun 29, 2023
Central N.C.
I have several broody hens and Iā€™ve run out of brooder pens for when the chicks hatch. I also collect roosters for some freaking reason! I hope my hatch isnā€™t mostly roosters because Iā€™ll for sure get attached to at least one of them. ā€œRaise chickens they said, itā€™ll be fun they saidā€ Itā€™s fun sometimes but no one warned me about the chicken drama that goes on, like omg itā€™s always something, none of the cluckers are ever freaking satisfied, theyā€™re always bawking up a storm, sounds more like Iā€™m getting bitched at. Thereā€™s always one feathered butthole that tries to trip me or that I accidentally kick because no one was under my feet half a second ago. Did you know that chickens can get jealous of each other if one is receiving all the attention? Chicken: ā€˜let me jump onto your lap with poopy feet for cuddles.ā€™ Flirting rooster: ā€˜hey sugar pie, honey bun, Iā€™ve picked out this beautiful feather for you! Do you like it cuz I really like you!ā€™ Me: ā€œthanks for being sweet but we arenā€™t even on the same planet and dude you have a hen!ā€

Can you believe there are people who think that chickens are "just chickens" and don't realize that the little drama queens -- and kings! -- are so much more?

I totally understand everything you've said about life with your birds -- except the part about a rooster liking you. Mine has killing me as his life's ultimate goal.

I built my coops in my 24 x 24 pole barn, way more secure, easier to clean, (walk out one, into the other). Great idea.....This is also where my tools, workbench, wood, everything is stored.
Everytime I walk in the barn I'm yelling.. "Get down from there!!"
Or "Get outta there, šŸ¤¬!!
IMG_20240213_145820.jpg

And donā€™t forget to close the house door or they turn into mini explorers and jump in behind you. Before you know it there is poop in the kitchen and a hen on the sofa.
I let the chickens free range and decided to grill while they were out, one of my hens was standing on the porch licking her beak as I flipped pork chops over. Iā€™m screaming at my girl, ā€œDonā€™t even think about it!ā€ I didnā€™t want grilled chicken too but she sure wanted those pork chops! I had to chase her off the porch.

I built my coops in my 24 x 24 pole barn, way more secure, easier to clean, (walk out one, into the other). Great idea.....This is also where my tools, workbench, wood, everything is stored.
Everytime I walk in the barn I'm yelling.. "Get down from there!!"
Or "Get outta there, šŸ¤¬!!
View attachment 3782181
He has found the perfect nest

Can you believe there are people who think that chickens are "just chickens" and don't realize that the little drama queens -- and kings! -- are so much more?

I totally understand everything you've said about life with your birds -- except the part about a rooster liking you. Mine has killing me as his life's ultimate goal.
Iā€™ve had someā€¦ummmmā€¦.interesting experiences that I hope only happen once in my chicken obsessed life. I had a big marans rooster that danced for me penned up until he matured. I put him in the hen house and changed the water to one that hangs from the rafters. I figured with that hunk of love going after hens the waterer might get spilt. Fast forward a few minutes, I squat down to make sure the waterer isnā€™t leaking and feel a foot on the back pocket of my jeans, thank god thatā€™s all that happened. I turned around and called him a few names, the dude had at least ten hens to choose from but no, he had to try to take advantage of the biggest ā€œhenā€ that squatted down.

And donā€™t forget to close the house door or they turn into mini explorers and jump in behind you. Before you know it there is poop in the kitchen and a hen on the sofa.
That's how my dog crates ended up being repurposed into a chicken nesting box tower. You let one chicken in one time by accident and the next thing you know you have five hens that want to lay in the house knocking on your sliding glass door every morning.

Back
Top Bottom