Do you eat the eggs?

You Bet-ya... I hard boiled them for the guys @ my DH's work.... they love the one bit snack. This morning we had 9 plus 4 reg sized, scrambled them up w/ first bell pepper from the garden. And the most fav... eitty bitty fried eggs. There so dang cute.

Last edited:
OK, seems like the overwhelming consensus is to eat them
smile.png
I'll make some scrambled eggs!

My kids ate the first 2 eggs this morning...I couldn't bring myself to try them! I have this weird thing about home grown eggs. Hopefully I will get over it soon!

Quote:
I know what you mean but every single chicken egg came from a chicken.... at least yours you know what it was fed and that they healthy and happy. As well as you know exactly how fresh your eggs are. I could understand if after raising chickens you could not eat EGGS anymore but to eat store bought eggs but not your own fresh eggs. You would be missing out on one of the joys of having chickens. I'm sure you will get over it. Just make eggs for the whole family including yourself and after that first time I bet you will be completely over it.

I don't know why I have the "wierd" factor but I will eat the eggs once we start getting enough. Maybe because they are so yellow and I am so used to the pale store bought eggs! I know store bought eggs are older and not as tasty that's one reason we got chickens in the first place to have fresh eggs that we know where they came from. The other reason is I wanted my kids to know where thier food comes from and to have the responsibility of raising chickens. I had the same problem as a kid, grandfather raised beef cattle and I had a hard tine eating it. Just me being weird.

I was afraid I would have a problem with it, too, but after one bite I was completely over it! Yum yum yum yum!!!
droolin.gif

Now store bought eggs kind of gross me out instead!!
lau.gif

You bet! My grandkids love the "baby eggs" and always look forward to having them with silver dollar pancakes when they sleep over......I always try to hatch a few new birds every few months to make sure I have pullet eggs for them. You can also market them as junior eggs and they sell really fast around here....

Or you could just get some bantams and you will get small eggs all the time. We have bantam chickens and large fowl chickens. It is funny how the large chickens will lay an egg in the early stages that is as small as the bantam chicken.

When our Ancona chicken started laying her eggs they were double yolked for weeks. You usually get one or two of them not one right after another. One of the eggs was a good sized large egg with the double yolk and then right back to the smaller size. It has been several more weeks and she is still laying small eggs but the double yolk thing has finally stopped. The other Ancona that we got as a chick with her has not laid an egg yet. They are both 24 weeks old and we have been getting a white egg from that coop for 6 weeks at least.

Couldn't imagine not eating my farm fresh eggs. They are so much tastier than store bought. My mom always made home made coconut cream pies with her farm fresh eggs and they were the best I ever had. She doesn't have chickens anymore and those pies just don't taste the same at all. I agree, you know what they are being feed and that they are happy and not in a huge smelly chicken "egg production" coop never seeing sunshine. Thought that was a good name for them. We live down the road from a egg laying house and did from a broiler house. We were thankful when the broiler house retired. Been inside an egg layer house and it sure did not look like anywhere I would want to get egg from or have my chickens in.

Back
Top Bottom