1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you eat the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissClaraCluck, Aug 11, 2011.

1. MissClaraCluck

MissClaraCluck Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Just wondering if anyone eats the first small eggs from a new layer or do you wait until the eggs are a bit bigger?

2. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    This is my first week of laying and I'm eating all my eggs, nothing wrong with them, they're just little.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    fry um up the first taste so much better because of all the hard work you put into them

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Unless they're rotten, I plan to (mine aren't laying yet). [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yes, I do eat the first, small eggs! You bet I do! I just saved 'em until I had three, then made myself a scrambled egg sandwich. Mmmmmmmm!

I carefully blew out the first green egg I got, too, to preserve the shell.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We all are placing bets when they will lay. The one who wins the bet eats the egg! Our girls will lay any day now!

7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    They generally end up in the pan when we scramble some eggs. They're a pain for baking (since you've got to play games with the food scale or expect poor results) and they tend to make really tiny over-easy eggs XD So scrambled it is.

Them and the tiny eggs that the adults sometimes lay out of shear pig-headedness [​IMG]

8. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    We've hard boiled them and made egg salad. Since you can let them sit till you have a few more smaller sized eggs.

9. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Ate all tiny first eggs. They were fabulous. It did take a few months to get all the blood or meat spots gone. You can pick those out or ignore them.

10. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Quote:what are blood and meat spots??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by