Do you eat the ones you love?

There is a difference between a pet and livestock.
The chickens I have now are pets. They have names and little personalities and all that and are interacted with as such. They will live out their lives here.

If we ever get set up for meat birds, they will be livestock. They will not be treated as pets, will not have names and interaction will consist of making sure they have good, humane care until their time comes.

caf.gif

Someday we hope to raise meat ducks.

we are not going to eat our pets. They will live long lives. Although we have a friend that he wont eat his pets either .. he has like 300 free range breeding chickens.. and offered us some roosters. He knows we would be eating them. It is like trading pets for someone else to eat. works out good for everyone. We havent done it yet but it is in the works.. I am nervous about the whole killing part. But the way the economy is going I WILL put feeding my family in front of a pet.

Quote:
I'm glad someone mentioned that. It's the reason we will only hatch straight runs.
wink.png

Meat birds are straight run too but I have to think about that one. It's probably
best to go with meat roos but meat(breed) hens aren't good layers.

Quote:
That is so funny. I thought I was the only one. We name our roos and meat birds. We have had Nugget, Honey BBQue, Rotissary, Noodle, Grilled, Stuffed, Lo Mein, etc. If there is a chicken dish, he have a bird or have had a bird by that name.

We eat them. Makes me sick (as in sad) though when it was one of my pets, but no problem with the meat birds. Never eaten a Silkie and hope I never have to!! The black bones and meat give me the squigglies.
sickbyc.gif

DH is raising three Peking ducks for...well...pecking duck and I don't know how I feel about that. :|

Has raising chickens made me more of vegetarian? Heck no. Actually I eat more chicken then I ever have

1. Because I know how these birds are raised. 2. Because EVERYTHING homegrown is better.
tongue.png

Last edited:
( I didnt go through and read all the posts so im not sure if you have changed subject...)

Having as many outside and inside animals as I do, Yes, I have learned to love and respect them and have been a vegetarian for 2 years now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom