Do you eat the ones you love?

Pecky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Wanup, Canada
Considering this is a chicken lovers website, I am curious of how many of you actually eat the chickens you raise.

Has raising chickens actually made any of you become vegetarians?

lol.png
NO, I can't even stand to kill them if they are sick. We eat chicken, just not ours. Eggs don't count. When we eat chicken we call it dinosaur at our house.
roll.png

We eat them. However, we don't eat the hens. We feel that they do us a wonderful favor by giving us delicious eggs everyday. We breed for roos for meals when they are raised though. I wouldn't even consider eating my hens, when we lose one to age they are buried in what my children call the chicken plot.

We eat the extra roos. Haven't had a hen get old yet, but I think all of my girls are going to die of old age and be placed in a corner of the garden when it's time.

Hi Pecky!
welcome-byc.gif

Careful! This is a very touchy subject that a lot of us vegheads have had to tread lightly. I was already there long before joining BYC but it does make you wonder about others!
hu.gif

We are vegheads here in my house. We eat our eggs but could not emagine killing and eating one of our pets and our chickens are our pets.

I imagine my Welsummer girls will die of old age but the extra roos, CornishX, ducks and geese are eaten. Other than some buffalo meat and pork ribs I haven't bought meat at the grocery in about 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom