Do you eat the ones you love?

yup. We're farmers, we raise food. We love them, pet them, play with them, and care for them, but if they don't make food (i.e. eggs or milk), they are food.

I won't eat my hens..they live out their lives here...My roosters I use for breeding won't be eaten either...It's the extra cockerals that grow out that go in the stew pots if I can't find homes for........

I keep mine as pets and free eggs when they feel like sharing but i can also see how others can eat them. Not much meat on banty bones which is why im not eating mine, however i keep hearing how much better the chicken tastes when you raise them and to be honest with the economy now n days your lucky to make a meal on $30 worth of groceries so i just may be raising some meat birds soon.

I can give mine away knowing full well that they may be eaten, but I can't eat them myself. If that sounds hypocritical, so be it. That's the primary reason my SO laughs at me when I suggest raising a cow for meat. He knows what we would wind up with is a very large expensive pet.
tongue.png

Most of our animals are raised for food. The only thing thats a pet is our cat and mules. But you never know what would happen if things got desperate. lol

I can not eat my own birds, but i have no problem going hunting. I raise chickens and gamebirds and waterfowl and just have never been able to kill my birds, but i have no problem killing wild birds very good eating.

Once my hens turn two will probaly eat them. And I plan on eating extra roosters.

It might be harder than I think to kill my hens I have had for a few years than killing a animal in the woods. But I am going to try.

I name my birds, treat them like pets and most likely my breeders will live their lives out here. It all depends on how they do as well. If they cause too much trouble they get eaten like my bad quail. I have meat chickens arriving this week and I have some extra roosters that are being fattened up. I have ducks and geese as well for both meat and eggs. My view on it all is if they behave and don't kill one another or attack me they will have a long comfy life. And those that I do buy with the intent to eat have a comfy life up to "hatchet day".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom