Do you eat the ones you love?

I have been a vegan for 5 years but it was very hard for me to stop craving meat. But ever since I looked into the eyes of our first babies, I NEVER craved chicken again. It was great. Our chickens are like our babies, they come in everynight and sleep on our laps.

I can't do it no matter how hard I have tried. My old man {who has no problem with killing animal's if they need it} said the only way he would kill one to eat is if we were starving and didn't have anything else to eat, and then I still don't think I could eat one. How could I kill something to eat that show's me love. I would just have to starve and this wouldn't be hard for me since I have been suffering from anorexia for 33 month's now. I like my chicken packaged in the grocery store. My reasoning around this is I didn't know that chicken and didn't have that chicken looking me in the eye everyday wanting me to love on it. It would be like killing one of my children.

I cant taste any difference from the store bought. They have to be better for you since they are'nt pumped full of steriods

Try chicken and dumplings or either boiled, both ways are GREAT...
tongue.png
tongue2.gif

I haven't had to yet, and hope I never have to. If it came down to us or the critters, then yeah. I had a favorite cow in HS that was my FFA project. I had to sell her and I was so sure she would be bought for slaughter that I wouldn't eat beef for a few weeks until I couldn't bear going without anymore. We have raised about 15 head of steers in the last 2 years and I couldn't bear the thought of eating one of them. It doesn't bother me to think of someone else doing it, just not me!

I could do it if I didn't raise the animals from birth( or hatch) and only interacted with them long enough to throw them some feed and give them water. I know I could do it then.

Quote:
I am kinda like you on that. I want to get meat birds so bad, I just know I have to keep myself separate from them emotionally, and I think I can if I just feed and water them and that's it. But my laying hens and my pet roos.......not even possible. I would chew off tree bark first.
smile.png

i love chicken..and i cant wait until spring, when we will get our first batch of meat chickens!
maybe its because that no matter how much i have loved on my chickens, sat outside and tried to hand feed them..they still act like they hate my guts, so i dont feel very bonded to them!
lol.png

They are just chickens to me, I don't really love them. So yeah I do eat some. I also raise pheasants for release and hunting.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people on here raise meat birds. A lot of people on here eat thier unwanted roos. Some raise exoctics and they are not eaten, but sold. Some raise hens for layers and when they get too old they are eaten.

I have a few "pets" that I would not kill, but i keep this number down. The silkies are hard to kill and eat. The game birds are good layers and they have a great gene pool. The polish are not a hardy breed and they tend to die off with time. i would NEVER eat my polish roos, they are just too cool looking.

We never eat any sick birds, They are culled and buried or burnt.

I think once you get a decent flock established you tend to keep em until they are no longer useful.

The silkies, well they tend to be keepers. They are not all that hardy though.

I wish I could be vegetarian my dad thinks its unhealthy

It can be. B12 deficiency is a real problem with a vegetarian diet and can cause brain shrinkage. I spent 5 years as a vegetarian and experienced the worst weight gain of my life. I also developed hypertension. Now I am a low carber who eats lots of meat and lots of healthy fats. I have lost a lot of weight and my hypertension is gone
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom