Do you ever find yourself.....

Guilty. Don't tell my hubby though. He's a tightwad
big_smile.png

Quote:
Chicks raised by humans (not by another chicken) need to be shown what's safe to eat. "Peck" at the new food with your finger. One of your chicks will be brave enough to take an exploratory nibble, and then the others will follow.

I've never bought yogurt before in my life... until last week.
lol.png

I have also learned that my girls LOVE watermelon and they don't seem to be nearly as revolted by the consistency of their poop afterwards as I am.

You guys should really put a warning next to the watermelon on that list of safe/unsafe things for chickens to eat.

I don't buy extra, but I did plant some extra squash,cukes, swiss chard etc.

They also really really really like cantalope....

They hated rasberries....so far this is the only thing they wouldnt eat....they tried it but kept wiping thier beaks after the first taste...You would think they would have learned after the first one didnt like it....

Oh and they love lettus also, I really have to watch my fingers if I am holding a piece...

I planted extra and buy extra. My friends and family also bring stuff by if they have something a little soft.
I love to put things in a suet cage and watch them go at it.
As for yogurt...We have to have bath time after, my Roo always is coated in it and I do not want the hens or any bugs to snack on him later. The babies loved it only after I put a little feed on top. The big chickens fight over it. I have to put it down and run before thay get it all over me.......
They love bananas, grapes, rice, grits, apples, watermelon, corn, and almost anything else.............They love treat time.....

My coworker has a big garden and he brings in the too big squash and overripe veggies for me to give my babies. The older girls LOVE to eat the middle out of the squash, but my 14 wk olds just walk around it.
One of my older hens found my small blackberry bush and she checks it out every afternoon when I let them all out to free-range. They've also gotten a lot of over ripe blueberries that I forgot in the refrigerator and loved them.
I do buy cabbage just for them and I always save left-over rice. They love it all (the older girls, not the younger ones).

Back
Top Bottom