Do you ever find yourself.....

tls_ranch

Stares at Chickens
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
Do you ever find yourself buying more fruit and veggies at the store than you can eat? Maybe with the thought that your chickens would like extra's as treats? One for me, one for the chickens.
lol.png

My husband asked permission to take a piece of watermelon to work today because he knows I bought it for my flock!

Me too... I did buy extra but now I shop at the farmers market and pick up free "garbage" in the back of the store. The overripe food they will carry to my car! I get 6 banana boxes full of "squash, corn, peaches,tomatoes, cabbage, green beans, okra and more" all over ripe byt the chickens love it!. I thought it would cut down on my feed bill... the "pigs with wings" just eat even more!!! its FREE!
wee.gif
ya.gif

Quote:

Well, I don't specifically buy extra food for my chickies, BUT they do get everything we don't use... My hubby will go through the fridge and cabinets looking for treats for them. He calls them our garbage disposals
tongue2.gif
We will also get doggie bagsif we eat out and take them home specifically for the girls
lol.png
Of course they don't get anything that we really couldn't eat - don't want sick chickens!

Watermelon... Polish chickens eating watermelon is quite a catastrophe! I couldn't figure out why my girls had "rainy day" hairdo's, then I remembered their yummies out in the coop
clap.gif

Hey! My chicks won't eat any of that stuff. I thought they were getting bored with their starter/grower stuff so I gave them leftover salad stuff from the fridge....they looked at me like I was insane and left it there to rot....but now when I feed them their mix, they look at my like "that's all you got??" What gives? are there any other treats I could try for them? could they be lacking in something if all they get is starter/grower? They aren't laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom