Do you ever weight you 50lb sacks?

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
I ask, because I've been using the same brand for over a year and one bag always filled my feed bin to the level top. Well, the feed store had a GREAT sale on another brand that's usually $8 more a bag so I bought 4 bags. When I dumped the first bag of the sale stuff into the bin it wouldn't all fit. I had at least 8 cups of food still in the bag.

I don't have an accurate scale at home, but I'm tempted to haul a couple bags into work and see what the freight scale says. I'd like to know if the one is shorting me or the other runs alittle heavy.

Might be a difference in density rather than actual weight. The only way to tell would be to measure out equal volumes of both, then weigh each to see if equal volumes are actually equal weights.

Rte.66_chicks :

Might be a difference in density rather than actual weight. The only way to tell would be to measure out equal volumes of both, then weigh each to see if equal volumes are actually equal weights.

Or grab your bathroom scale & put the bag on it.​

Depending on the companies quality standards each can have different levels of quality and rejection. One company may have a higher level of bulk density they sell which means higher quality seed while another may have a lower level meaning less quality. The higher the bulk density of a grain/seed makes it much higher quality and the heavier the better it is for food.

Companies require the highest quality and heaviest for human consumption with the middling going for animals and the lowest is usually all trash.

This is determined by running the grain/seed or whatever over a gravity separator which separates by bulk density. Here is the web link to the company I work for that makes the gravity separators. www.olivermfgco.com

Sorry my answer is so detailed.

Back
Top Bottom