Do you free feed your flock or measure it out?

Quote:
They are just happy to see you
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

You are right, they think I have a goodie bag stashed in my coat, clever little boogers. most of the time they are right, I do have a little something for them, I call it self defense so I can get my chores done in the coop LOL.

AL

Mine have free access to layer pellets, and they really don't seem to eat much. None are fat. I don't think they like the layer pellets much, so they don't overeat.

Mine have free access to feed 24/7, and none are fat. (Well, ok, one or two are plump, but they're happy.) They've got what I think is a larger run and can really get a good sprint up in there when they want to. I limit scratch and carbs/bread, but give them as many veggies as I can get my hands on. They're happy and healthy. I think exercise is the key if you want to free feed. Just my two cents.

I think in the winter they should have access to feed all the time because its the only food they get. But in spring through fall, they eat bugs and gress and such, that you should not have to worry about it so much
smile.png
If they are not fed enough i would think it could compromise their health and production
hu.gif

I use a feeder with a small 3 inch hole so they have to wait there turn to eat. Its full 24/7. That's in the breeding pens, 6 or 7 birds to a feeder.

The free range birds get a coupe every other day scattered all over the yard.

I don't see any size difference between the caged birds an the free ones.

Mine has 24/7 on the laying pellets and once a week I feed them a hand full of 28% dog pellets scattered through out their pen. I also throw in scratch at a different time of the week. I don't know why I give them the dog pellets, but an old farmer told me that they lay better with some higher protein. At first they looked at me like I was trying to kill them, but now when it hits the ground, it's gone.

Since my doesn't free range, I will put some tree branches in their pen about 3 times a month to make sure that they have the greenery that they need.

My wife tells me that it would be easier to buy the eggs from the store, but what fun would that be???

I keep oyster shells avaiable for them in a separate feeder but I haven't given them any extra "grit". What is "grit" and should I be giving it to them?

Thanks

Quote:
Think of grit as their false teeth. It's what they use to grind up their feed.
If your chickens free range or otherwise have access to alot of tiny pebbles and rocks, you really don't need to provide it.
If they don't, you need to provide it for them to be able to properly digest their food.

Quote:
Think of grit as their false teeth. It's what they use to grind up their feed.
If your chickens free range or otherwise have access to alot of tiny pebbles and rocks, you really don't need to provide it.
If they don't, you need to provide it for them to be able to properly digest their food.

So, oyster shells substitute for grit when they can't free range and dig in the dirt. (or am I wrong?)

Back
Top Bottom