Do you free feed your flock or measure it out?

Quote:
No oyster shell won't take the place of grit. Oyster shell is soluble - it breaks down after exposure to moisture. Grit, the store bought type is usually made from granite, doesn't break down.

Last edited:
Quote:
No oyster shell won't take the place of grit. Oyster shell is soluble - it breaks down after exposure to moisture. Grit, the store bought type is usually made from granite, doesn't break down.

Well darn it! I've had chickens for almost 5 years and never added anything to substitute their pecking and scratching that they enjoy during the summer for anything in the winter.
sad.png

I know my feed mill doesn't add anything. Hmmm, better make some phone calls tomorrow.

I love this forum. I learns something every day!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
As I said before if they are free ranging or where they have access to small pebbles in the dirt, then I'm sure they're fine.
Grit is really more of a necessity for those chickens kept confined in a pen or coop.
I don't offer grit, but my chickens free range no matter the season. If they can't find grit anywhere else, there's always the driveway.

I went to the local feed store today and they had grit there but each bag was labeled different (kinda like fertilizer) 5-8-8 or 10-3-5, does anybody know what this is or what is best for chickens? I noticed that they were different sizes and my local feed store had about 6 different kinds of grit.

Thanks again

Quote:
Well, here in MN, they are pretty much snowed in from Dec. to March so they don't get anything but snow outside
sad.png

So I should be adding grit. (I sorry girls) See, learn something everyday.

I keep big pans in the coops and out in the yards with laying crumbles, pellets and scratch in them. Mainly because I have chickens in sizes from bantams to giants, not to mention ducks. The large pans with high sides keeps them from scratching food over on the ground as much. I do keep a 3-4 foot ply wood disc (Not pressure treated) where I put out scratch (did I mention mine free range in the fenced yards). It keeps it out of the grass and if it gets spoiled by rain it gets turned into the compost heap. Not to mention in the summer crickets love to hide under it, so flipping once a week is a chicken cricket hunt bonanza.
If it is going to rain I put up the big umbrella (table size 2-3 foot off the ground) over the disc, if they call for high winds then I don't put out the umbrella or scratch on the disc. I have several tarped shade areas here and there with food/scratch and water under them.
I find they do not over eat in the winter or summer. Summer you can cut the feed amount by half or more here and the scratch even more.
As mentioned earlier I will get mobbed anytime I am in the area. You would think these kids were starving, they are just masters at acting like they are to con a treat or two. Never try to eat a sandwich in the chicken yards. My one rooster can jump as high as your mouth to grab your lunch !
I try to stay away from giving the chickens or ducks any white bread, it is only empty calories. But if you put it under your mulch pile the worms love it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom